Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 15872 times)

Offline jimmy

Re: Smoking
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 06:03:18 pm »
i live in south kansas. around here some folks, including myself use osage and mulberry for smoke.  i think they both are very good, and they are very plentiful.  besides, what else are you going to do with all those bow shavings?  i use a cheap smoker with a fire box on the side.  smoke up Johnny!

Offline lowell

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:10 pm »
Next time I smoke I'm going to give osage or mulberry a try!!!

I made a smoker out of 2 garbage cans and an electric hot plate from  the salvation army.  Smaller can fits in the larger can and it insulates for use in cooler weather.  Work good for me!!!! ;)   
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:47 pm »
JW,

I had a big Chief electric smoker but it finally gave up the ghost, too many Pactola trout?

I currently use a Masterbuilt M7P 7-in-1 Smoker, does a great job as a smoker, and you have the benefit off all the other options this tool can be used for. If someone stole it tonight I would buy another in the morning, that is the best recommendation I can offer.

Sean

Pactoilet rainbow carp!  Hehe.  Your recommendation is pretty weighty. 

Pactola is now producing plenty of large northern pike, too.  Bait bucket stocking is ruining another blue ribbon trout fishery in the Hills.  Horsethief Lake and Lakota Lake are going to be drained, electroshocked to get rid of pike/perch/who-knows-what, dredged and restored to trout.  If they liberalize the fishing restrictions I will have to get out a cast net when the water gets low.  Better have that smoker by then!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:32:40 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:41 am »
I know the Surgeon General is against it, but I want to start smoking again.  I just love it, and so does everyone around me.
So.  My question is what brand of smoker do you use and why?  I had the use of a 30" MasterBuilt electronic with digital temp control, a timer, and a nifty little feeder tray for adding chips.  I thought it was pretty decent, got great results. 

Anyone have any input for me on the subject?

First sentence had me going  :o
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:08 am »
Who?  Me?   O:)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »
Cam is that really your smoke house? Wow!!! If it is what do you smoke in it? I know meat, but tell us more..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:34:50 pm »
Lowell,

Mulberry or osage are fine for your coals but for smoking wood they are the wrong choice, too much resins in the wood leave a bitter taste.

Sean

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 12:59:59 am »
Cipriano - technically it belongs to my dad and his brothers, but dad and I are pretty much the only ones that use it.  My dad is retired and has taken to making summer sausage to keep himself busy and make a little coin.  We typically do batches of 100 to 150 lbs of meat at a time.  Next time I'm back home I'll take a picture of his sausage stuffer.  He made it himself out of black PVC tubing that's about 12 or 14 inches in diameter, and holds probably about 40 lbs of meat per load.  It's got a plunger that's cranked into the tube on a threaded rod, which pushes the meat out.  It doesn't take very long to do 100 lbs of meat with that sucker, maybe 45-60 minutes. 

We always use willow for smoke - just go down to the pasture and bring some back from the creek.  It gives the meat a nice, very unique flavor.  We have relatives that come out from the west coast and they say that they can't find sausage that even compares to ours out there.

All we use to heat the meat while it smokes is a small wood stove, maybe about 1 cubic foot in volume.  It depends on what we're making, but usually one stove-ful packed tight with wood is enough.  It burns for 2 or 3 hours.

It's mostly used for summer sausage and smokies, but occasionally we smoke jerky in there too.  There are some wire-mesh racks that we stretch out across the shack and hang from nails on the sides (you can see one hanging on the left side in the picture).  It works well, but takes a lot of work because the jerky still has to be dehydrated after it's smoked.  It's pretty much eaten as fast as it comes off the dehydrator :)

Sorry if I'm jacking your thread JW.  But I know you'll get over it ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:19 pm »
I'll get over it when the 3 lbs of jerky and the stick of summer sausage arrives.   >:D

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 12:36:20 am »
Cam thank you for explaining all of that. Very interesting. My mouth watered like a Pavlov dog just reading it.

Cipriano....

Ya.. Ya.. JW will get over it:)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:30 am »
I was back home last weekend and, as promised, took a couple pics of dad's sausage stuffer.  Pretty heavy-duty  ;)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:00 am »
Webber kettle with an "inset" smoker.  I went to the local college caffeteria and got them to cut both ends out of a tomato can (commercial) for me.  Drilled a few holes.

Highly versitile and smokes enough for our family.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:25 am »
never smoked on a large scale.
but enjoy smoking mostly fishes in the weber grill
its really simple and does a great job
wild women don't get the blues

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 12:07:57 am »
Well my MasterBuilt digital smoker arrived the other day.  They have made some changes to the design since it first came out.  For one thing the drip pan in the bottom has an added flange that causes it to tilt to the back so that it will drain the fat and other drippings out the back into another catch basin.  I like that. 

The stainless steel racks slide out without catching on the rails so they are nice and smooth to operate.  I like that.

But then they tack welded this little sheild on the chip loader so that you can barely get any wood chips into the smoker.  I bloody well DON'T LIKE THAT.  I ran it for 7 hours on some dry rubbed boston butts and ended up with very little smoke flavoring.  Time to get out the cutting wheels and my dremel tool.  I'm gonna be able to load a proper amount of wood chips by gum!!

That's a nice Cohorn Mortar...I mean sausage stuffer, Cam!  Very nice!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:10 am »
I just found out that my wife ordered me a new smoker. I get to pick it up this weekend.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah