Author Topic: Plains Warshirt  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Bryce H

Plains Warshirt
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »
Winter, for me, means football and doing a whole bunch of stuff inside rather than outside....even though I live in Texas and the weather is perfect still for doing things outside. I've always admired the Indians of the Northern Plains, though it helps that I have the littlest smidgin of Lakota in me (I mean, reeeeal little). But I'm proud of that heritage, anyhow. So, I wanted to make a warshirt. Spent most of the day on it so far, and I'm pleasantly surprised by my first attempt. Here's pics of the progress so far, and I'll try to update it next weekend as I keep going. Hopefully, by the end, I'll have something that is good enough to display on the wall in the house. Enjoy!

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Plains Warshirt
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:28 pm »
Looking great. I'm jealous
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:36 am »
Thanks, Bill!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:47 am »
Looking good so far, looking forward to seeing it finished. I want to make something like that out of the brain taned hides I have been doing,how many hides will yours take,I was told it would take 4 deer,1 for the front 1 for the back and 1 for each sleeve with some scrap left over ? :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:33:45 pm »
Thank you, sir! This one is not of skin, but linen, Pappy. I wanted to try one first of cloth, to avoid any major malfunctions ruining multiple skins....I'm a scardy cat like that. In the book, Mystic Warriors of the plains, by Thomas Mails,  he states that two were used. I'll see if I can't get a picture of it when I get home. Essentially, the bottom halves of the two skins (back of the animal) provided the front and back of the shirt, and the top halves, folded over with the skin of the legs included, provided the sleeves.

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:31 am »
Pappy, this is the drawing in Thomas Mails' book.

On the left, it shows the rear of the two hides forming the front and back of the shirt; on the right, the top of the hides forming the sleeves. Sorry about the quality, I don't have a scanner so I had to snap it with my phone.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:22 am »
Thanks,I also want to get a clear idea before I jump in and mess up some hides,lots of work in brained tanned hides and looks like lot of work putting it all together.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:52 am »
Looking good. :)

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:57 pm »
Little update, got one side of the front done today. Took awhile, but I'm fairly happy with it.

Offline uwe

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 01:11:46 pm »
Good thread to post my warshirt. May be there are some more here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
Uwe, I'd love to come to visit you and see your collection of North American Native American History. You'll have to open a museum some day.  ;)   I'd bet you like a good old sh!t kicker Cowboy and Indian movie too.
  Nice work on your war shirt Bryce. Smart idea to start out with linen.
  Pappy, Crazy Crow has patterns for war shirts and such.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »
Uwe, that is gorgeous!

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
Thanks for this boys. Yes a good authentic film of tose times (not the old `40ties t0 čarly 70ties movies) I likke very much. Dances with wolfes or stuff like this are the preferred ones.
The plainsshirt I`ve made is  lent on pctographics from the Upper Missouri Region with elements of Plainsstyle (Lakota). The beading is early 19th century with ponybeads in the easy to work geometric design of those times. Quill wrapped horsehair and 2 quilled rosettes- one on the back and one on the front.
Pat. I could will post some other things the next time.
Regards Uwe

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 02:04:03 pm »
Very nice quill work indeed - hard to find porkys in the west any more. I haven't seen one in about 20 years!

Offline uwe

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 10:05:53 am »
Think, no good news to hear. What about the population of porkies to be said in the US?