Author Topic: elk antler bow  (Read 7563 times)

Offline possum

elk antler bow
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:15 am »
I'm starting on an elk antler bow.  Well, OK, I started a long time ago but life pulled me away and now I'll have more time.   ::)  I need information on how to splice the two pieces together and how much sinew someone would guess it would take.  The pieces are @20" each.  I was thinking maybe a butt splice with another piece lapped over both or maybe some interlocking type with another piece lapped over to also help build up the handle a bit.
As for the sinew, I have @13 deer leg sinew and @20 back sinew.  I had more back sinew yesterday but my dog got on the table as they were drying >:( >:( >:( >:(  Anyone want a dumb stupid boxer? :-\

Here's a page I made when I startedhttp://www.geocities.com/sp06di/elkbowpage.html
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Dane

Re: elk antler bow
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:51:52 pm »
Possum, I heard that dogs love eating sinew.

I assume you are making the bow with a wooden core? My understanding is a butt joint is all that you will need, assuming the horn will be on the back of the bow. That is the kind I am using for an Asiatic composite I have started already.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline possum

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:06:52 pm »
This is just an antler and sinew, no core.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 03:17:25 pm »
I was interested in these kinds of bows when I saw them in TBB, I will be checking in on this bow.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 05:39:22 pm »
I havn't tried antler ,but I have made a few like that with horn and sinew.
      That's the way I do it.Butt joint at the handle ,tooth the entire back of both horns .Then make a short 3" piece to overlap the butt joint at the handle,and tooth both sides of the short piece.Drill a small hole in both limbs and matching holes in the short handle piece. Next I peg it all together with hand made horn dowels and hide glue . I leave the pegs just a little bit proud ,and sinew wrap the handle with one layer to come up flush with the pegs.

After the assembled limbs have dried for a few weeks I put on the first sinew layer ,after 4 layers of sinew these little bows will pull into a 'C' so wrapping the limbs with sinew is usually necessary. Some of them end up completely wrapped.

Ralph