Author Topic: Wild Game recipes- Let's share them  (Read 2055 times)

youngbowyer

Wild Game recipes- Let's share them
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »
I thought it would be cool and usefull to post some recipes for all sorts of wild game.
Here's mine for squirrel.

1)Take the back legs and the back of a squirrel
2) put them in a pot of water and boil for 10-15 minutes(add some spices if you like)
3) drain the water and add some red wine
4) leave the red wine in for a few minutes and then drain it
5) Heat up a skillet with some olive oil
6) cut up some jalapeno peppers(if you like the heat) and remove all the squirrel meat from the bone.
7) fry the squirrel, jalapenos, and add hot buffalo sauce as your cooking
8) when the squirrel looks nice and crispy, add some water and turn the gas on low for about 10 minutes.
9) Now you're left with delicious, spicy, and tender squirrel meat.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Wild Game recipes- Let's share them
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »
Venison Roll

Butterfly a venison roast and lay out on parchment paper.  Take some fresh herbs, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, and Oregano and chop fine.  Put the herbs in a bowl along with some minced Garlic and Onions and add about 1/4 cup Olive oil and mix, a bit of crushed Chili pepper doesn't hurt.  Spread the mix on the venison and roll up.  Put in oven and cook.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »
Techni-Color Ditch Chicken Enchiladas

Coupla pheasants, skinned, field dressed, and well picked over for shot
1/2 bottle of sauvignon blanc wine
2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder

Throw 'em all in a pressure cooker* under 10 lbs of steam for 35 minutes.  Allow to fully cool.  Pick the meat off the bones, discard bones, dice the larger chunks of meat.  Reserve the stock for making soups/stews/gravies.

Roll the meat in flour tortillas along with your choice of cheese(s), I prefer cotija or caso fresco.  Line these enchiladas up in a greased baking dish and cover with your favorite green enchilada sauce or salsa verde.  Top with a little more cheese of your choice and bake for 45 minutes in a 325 oven.  Serve with plentiful quantities of cervesa fria.  You may wish to serve this to children with aqua fresco instead of the cervesa. 

Muy bueno, trust me. 

*You will love a pressure cooker, but if you don't have one, extend the cooking time to 6 hours in a tightly closed dish in the oven (check regularly and add water to keep it all moist), or 4-5 hours in your crock pot. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:23:51 pm »
FIRE IN THE HOLE! Antelope chops

Save all your hickory bowmaking scraps that are an inch or two across.  Cut it all up in chunks about the size of charcoal briquets.  When you are out camping and you have a good fire going, mound up these hickory scraps in the middle and let 'em burn until you make a great bed of coals. Mimimun 4 inches of coals in a circle 18" across will cook for 4 people. 

Your chops should be at least 1 inch thick, inch and a half is better.  Pat them dry, rub lightly with olive oil.  Season your antelope (or deer) chops with plenty of Montreal Steak Seasoning and have them on a plate next to the coals.  There should be no fire, just coals.  Get your handy fire poking stick out and push the coals around until you knock off all the grey ash.  Lay chops on the coals.  That's right, on the coals, not a grill, grills are for sissies!  When a slow count to 100 is complete, flip 'em and start a slow count to 50.  Pull 'em, brush off the ash and let sit for 3 minutes before serving.  You will have to live with the results until you learn how fast to count, your first try may be too well done, or too rare. 

If you are scared of eating a little ash (adds a nice flavor you will be surprised to find*) you can toss onion slices down first and lay the meat on the onion, but it will slow the cooking a bit.  Either way, toughen up!  You are a Primitive Archer for cripes sakes!

*Being alkaline it also helps lower stomach pH for those of us that suffer GERD.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »
Ditch Creek Brookies

Catch some brookies, gut'em, run a green willow branch in the mouth, and above the backbone and down until it comes out the tail.  Hang over a fire, pull it off the stick in time or it will fall off into the fire.  Serve with cold creekwater and risk the chance of giardia.

This also works with other trout, but the brookie is technically a char and a far superior eating fish.   

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:24:46 pm »
Duck fajitas!

1 lb of duck breast cut in strips
Your favorite fajita seasoning. I like Cajun's Blake Ragin Cajun Seasoning!
2 onions cut
2 green peppers
1.5 cups of 'shooms...The legal type! :laugh:
Corn tortita's
salsa
mexican cheese
sour cream
blackbeans

Wash and drain your duck. Soak over nite if you want. Some people hate the gamey taste of duck. Once drained, mix your seasoning with the duck and set for at least 3 hours. Throw all yer stuff in a pan with 1/3 cup of olive oil. Cook on low med heat until done. Serve on corn tortita with all tha fixin's and enjoy. So good, make you wanna smack yo momma.... >:D :o ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »
Wow, you guys make fancy meals.  Mine are kind of plain and simple, but that's how I like to eat.

BBQ deer:

Pour some brown sugar in a baking dish.  Squeeze a bunch of ketchup on top.  Mix together and throw in a bunch of deer and bake it with some baked potatoes.  When its done, pour the extra sauce on the potatoes.

Fried deer fingers:

Cut up some deer into strips, dip them in a mixture of milk, eggs, and flour.  Fry until golden brown.

Deer roast:

Put a deer roast, potatoes, carrots, and maybe an onion in a crock pot and cook for half a day.

Now I am hungry for some deer and stuck at work. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:31:29 pm »
Easy and simple:

Venison cube steak
Cover with yellow mustard completely.  Then roll in seasoned flour and deep fry. 

Cant be beat
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:41:29 pm »
 Save up till you have about 30 or 60 squirrels. Throw them in a Pressure Cooker till the meat is falling of the bone. Pick all the meat off and discard the bones. Then mix up your favorite Tuna fish salad recipe and use squirrel instead. Great on crackers, sandwiches. I freeze it in plastic containers and take it hunting. When it is thawed, it's great on sandwiches.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?