Author Topic: My wifes Yew Bow if finished  (Read 3003 times)

Offline coaster500

My wifes Yew Bow if finished
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:56 am »
Bow #7 is the Yew bow I built for my wife Lena. It is 63” 30@28 and a sweet little shooter. Lena liked the finish I put on my last bow (Chittamwood) so that what this one got. Again I used the almost black poplar for the tips. The grip is a nice piece of Leather stitched with sinew. I used a piece of bone for the rest and slipped is under the leather. The string silencers are alpaca wool. I really enjoyed this Yew. It is a dream to work and really makes a pretty bow. The stave was deflexed to begin with and I tried a little heat to add some reflex but after shooting a hundred or so arrows it took about one inch of set. Now I just have to teach Lena how to shoot….  Thanks for all the help!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dwardo

Re: My wifes Yew Bow if finished
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:05:20 am »
Very nice bow and it looks like the missus is well on her way to being an archery lover.
Did you de-crown the back?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:54 am »
Beautiful bow,finish work is very nice,she should love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:25:31 am »
Thank you !!

dwardo, yes I decrowned the back. Like most bows I've built I made mistakes. This one I removed some of the sapwood before I worked the stave down a bit and roughed out the bow. There were undulations in the heartwood under that sapwood and I broke Through in one area :( Fortunately Yew is very tough and this bow is light enough in weight that I got away with it and the sapwood made a sweet marbled finish under the stain. Next time I'll take the bow close to finish if I decide to remove any sap wood.

pappy I hope she'll start to shoot but she spent more time smelling it (says it smells like new furniture, :) .... )...  This is the first time she has ever drawn a bow.

I sure wish Yew was easier to get and not so expensive!! I sure liked working with it. It is very easy to work and feather lite in the hand.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:46:04 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline druid

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:57:32 pm »
Nice backing and correct tiller, good work.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:33:16 pm »
Really good looking bow, very cool that you can fling arrows with the misses.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:47:04 pm »
Awesome,beautiful bow.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »
Very nice looking bow! Looks like it fits her well, great job!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »
Good job !!
She will love it and out shoot you !!
I hope that is what you were wanting !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »
druid, thank you....  I've been in awe of your work since I started playing at it myself. I am please with the way the almost snow white sapwood came to life with the stain. It looks like a kind of natural camo :)

swamp yeti, thank you!!  I'm still learning but really enjoying it. I have such a small amount of time to work on them. I wish I had more but the bills go on????

Josh, ErictheViking, we are going to go out to the 3d course and play a bit, we'll see ...

Guy, I hope you're right!!!     .... It won't take much to out shoot me though but maybe she won't mind me disappearing in the shop as much :)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »
dang fine job there bow machine ! its always more fun with a partner

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »
From one "Machine" to another thanks Ken :)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 11:45:30 pm »
Very nice bow. Looks like some good tight grained yew. Great profile and nice tiller.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 12:27:22 am »
WOW,that is tight rings...great piece of yew...and the work you did is sweet...i hope the wife has fun with it...thanks for sharing..john

Offline BakhSA

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 11:33:43 am »
Beautiful bow, Sir. Great job. My wife liked it and ordered me to make a bow for her. it's really progress for her :))) because she was not interested in archery before. Thank you for sharing.