Author Topic: Bug question  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Almostpighunter

Bug question
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:21:49 am »
Got some osage staves in the mail today and they have some bug holes in them. I planned to back these with sinew anyway (will be a first so wish me luck) so I'm not overly worried, but I can actually see a couple of bug butts in the holes (bugs are larger than I would have thought having never seen them before) and I was wondering if they pose any kind of danger to infesting the house? Like termites? I really want to make a couple of bows out of these beautiful pieces of wood but it isn't worth it if they could possibly infest the house.

Also they smell like manure, but I figure that is due to the guy I got them from having seasoned them in a working barn. If this is not the case please let me know.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Bug question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:33:28 am »
i found the same in some staves i got although i knew thisahead of time, the size of the still surprised me and scared me thinking of the wood holding the house together. so i lit an old junky candle and plopped them in  >:D, no more bugs ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:18 am »
I would just spay them with some good bug spray,some of the wood wasp[we call them ] are large and very ugly. I doubt they will infest the house but will get into other staves[bark on] if you have some close. Also they will keep eating till you kill them so I would do that ASAP. Even tho you are backing they will tunnel into the wood and give you weak spots. :) I have had them turn a whole pile of Osage into sawdust /swiss cheese.  :) :) :) HATE UM  >:(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:49 am »
Do they freeze out in the winter?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08:21 am »
"Do they freeze out in the winter?", no you can't count on that.
If you don't have bug spray a liberal dose of mineral spirits will probably do the trick...and keep 'em away from the fire ;)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:15 am »
I am working hard to debark the staves I cut a year ago because some of the have worms and I am draw knifing them out. And making sure that they are all gone before I store them in the house. 
My question is do do they weaken the wood if they have been removed because of some secretion or something or is the wood OK after they have been removed?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
I don't think they weaken the wood John.  I've made lots of bows with bug holes in the limbs.  Watch out for the ones that go sideways, they're the bow killers.  I know it's weird, but I get some kind of perverse satisfaction when I'm removing wood and cut through them. >:D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:14 pm »
I would just spay them with some good bug spray

Any brand you care to mention?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »
Also they smell like manure, but I figure that is due to the guy I got them from having seasoned them in a working barn. If this is not the case please let me know.

I cut some black locust that had some big grub or worm things eating it, and it smelled horrible.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:28:31 pm »
I do also G. I like getting them out! I have been making blanks out of the staves and checkin to make sure that none are still in. Funny how some have worms and others dont when stacked in the same place. It is a lot of work removing the bark from a pile  of staves but that is a good problem. I know it has to be done this month before anymore damage occurs. I have been knifing one per day.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:43:44 pm »
As discussed above the small worm holes you can usually work with. Those 'grubs' that Toomanyknots mentioned were likely wood borers, they will destroy good wood, and they love locust.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 07:35:59 pm »
I just finished removing the bark and sapwood on this stave and found this guy on the side under a slab of wood I pulled off. I got luck because he only went 1/4 inch in on the side.  I found most only went one or two rings in and stopped. I thought this was a good example of what we are talking about.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:14 pm »
Mine smell fine must be the barn thing.  Here is a picture of the finished stave. 

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:22:46 pm »
Ya'll are making me wanna go cut some wood so bad... I have a love hate relationship with cutting osage,.. hate in the beginning, and then love at the end after it is cut sealed and seasoning in my work room upstairs.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »
Bug damage normally looks worse than it is.  Here's a billet I traded away last fall.

Before:

After:

Less than 30 minutes between those 2 pictures.  Borers are just an annoyance.  I'd never throw wood away from bugs unless it was just too shallow to make a bow from and still remove them.

George
St Paul, TX