Author Topic: Snakey hackberry  (Read 28042 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Snakey hackberry
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2012, 07:18:50 pm »
edit: deleted
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:58:17 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Snakey hackberry
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »
Well I got the bow sinewed. Today is the second day of drying. I used thinner glue and less of it like alot of people suggested in osage outlaws thread. I didn't put a coat of glue on top of the sinew after laying it all down like I usually do. I think I should of done that, as the sinew has turned white and overly dry looking in only a day or so. I layed one full layer down, and then a smaller layer to give it a crown. I hope from me completing this build along that alot of people will learn you can easily repair a bows back if the belly is in good working condition with a sinew backing. (although a sinew or flax fiber patch works fine.)

The white "too dry/not enough glue" looking sinew:

Pearl, please read design and performance in the first volume of TBB on page 135 a technique for a "hinge patch or problem spot patch" is talked about. Here is a link to that page with from google books for you: http://books.google.com/books?id=dQT9krc53isC&pg=PA135&dq=the+bowyers+bible+patch+flax&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uHtBT8nPOsLm0QHpnLy0Bw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's under fiber backings if you got the book at home.

I still don't know where this hinge is your talking about though and after drawing the bow multiply times I cannot find one. I have asked you to show me twice now.   I have uploaded a video of the bow being drawn to show the tiller better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSBpA7LGaMs The top limb looks like it might be in danger of a hinge from the fade being too stiff, but the bottom limb is the repaired limb and it looks fine to me. This is the bow being over drawn to 30", which is was never really meant to do, as I was seeing if it could break. Anyway this is just to make things clear, as I have already sinewed the bow. Also, what does a breaking a perfectly fixable bow teach you exactly? It's a nice saying, but wouldn't you think there is better experience to be had and more satisfaction from fixing a bow than breaking it? I have broken plenty of bows out of frustration or disappointment over the years, and have eventually regretted breaking every one.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:32:47 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair