Author Topic: Axe/Hatchet Sharpening  (Read 13449 times)

Offline Dictionary

Axe/Hatchet Sharpening
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:50:01 am »
This has always been my achilles heel even before i was interested in bowmaking. I've never been too good at sharpening tools, whether it be a hatchet,a knife, or a chisel when i was into carving. Now i was roughing out a maple sapling that i suspected was very hard or my axe was very dull. I took the axe to a green stave just to see and it didn't remove wood as it should. I take a file to the axe and try and grind it on a stone and it seemed to only get duller haha. Its an axe i bought from Ace hardware about a year or so ago, a camp axe.

I've read you can use a file, or only a stone. I usually file at the wrong angle, i suspect, so i am wondering if it is possible to sharpen an axe the same way you can a knife by just taking slicing cuts across a coarse stone then a fine. I'm also imagining, although my sharpening skills arent worth a penny, that the axe itself is making it more difficult to get a good edge.

Anyways im wondering what are your guy's method for sharpening an axe/hatchet. I could really use some help. Using a dull tool makes bowmaking a difficult,tedious task.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline sadiejane

Re: Axe/Hatchet Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:09:40 pm »
they make round double sided sharpening stones for axes/hatchets.
like em lots.
but i do use a file or the belt sander to get the bevel as i prefer then use the stone to get that razor edge.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/99232823/page15.htm
wild women don't get the blues

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »
my personal fav resource on how to bevel and sharpen axes and hatchets is in a book by ellsworth jager "wildwood wisdom". page 156 starts the description of this and has a great set of pix to go along. if yr into any type of primitives skills this is an great resource.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »
so is a file for reshaping an edge and a stone for general sharpening? Because i have come across many axe sharpening videos and articles where people sharpen their axes just as they sharpen their knives. Does this work only with good quality axes? I'm thinking about buying a fiskars axe. Any experience with those?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:28:40 pm »
Yes, you can sharpen an axe the same way as a knife. What I do, however, is hold the the axe stationary and run the stone across the edge with my other hand. It's easier for me to maintain a consistent angle that way.
Gordon

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »
I have one of the smaller fiskars axes and im very happy with it.
Only bad thing is that silly orange painted handle,it gets slippery when you get warm so i sanded it off.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »

Offline GaryR

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »
I use my Dremel with fine sanding disc. Even if you have a cheaper lower quality ax, it should still sharpen, it just dulls quicker. Keeping a consistant/proper angle is important.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »
Some great tips here for DIY sharpening on a budget,

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22814

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11571

Those are great threads you posted.I bookmarked them.  I've been practicing with knife sharpening for quite some time now and am getting better at sharpening but still can't shave the hairs off my arm with it quite yet. But its using the file at the right angle to my axe that i think is the problem. I get the point of it is to create a convex edge but i stare at the axe blade with file in hand and don't know how to go about it with the correct angle or even how to determine the angle at which i am filing since i'm filing into the blade. Now i've been filing for some time and havent gotten a decent edge and feel i may have ruined this axe. My file is full of metal particles with nothing to show for it. :-\

This is partly why i was hoping there was a way to sharpen an axe and avoid using a file  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:36:29 pm by Dictionary »

-JW_Halverson

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:55 pm »
My file is full of metal particles with nothing to show for it.

Most likely you are not keeping the file at a consistent angle while sharpening.
Gordon

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »
seems to me that the only time you'd ever need a file is to take out a serious "ding" in the edge.
I've never needed to use a file on my broad hatchet that I use for bow work- have only ever used
stones to touch up the edge.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:22 pm »
seems to me that the only time you'd ever need a file is to take out a serious "ding" in the edge.
I've never needed to use a file on my broad hatchet that I use for bow work- have only ever used
stones to touch up the edge.

Hmm......i just ordered a fiskars axe. I'll try to be careful enough so i don't have to use the file  :P. Maybe that will keep me from ruining this one.

Also Gordon, you are probably right about the incorrect angle. I'm sure thats what it is. Its difficult for me to try and keep the correct angle for convex edge. A clamped in axe with a file would probably help maintain a better angle if i had access to a vise. As i did with bows, i imagine i will eventually understand it. It just sure would help if i had a seasoned pro over my shoulder telling me what i am doing wrong. That could save me months of learning, at my rate of learning things.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:27:53 pm by Dictionary »

-JW_Halverson

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:01:35 am »
Dic,I'm new to forum but an old hand at sharpening,If you still have questions or are still struggling shoot me a pm and we'll get ya going.Ron

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »
Go to youtube and type in Ray Mears and axe. This is a guy who knows how to take care of his stuff!

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 01:27:45 pm »
I know its not very primitive but if you have a belt sander you can make pretty short work of it and it will be razor sharp. Thats how I sharpen all my tools with 120 grit belts. You have to be careful not to take off too much material though.