Author Topic: osage,how old is to old?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline bareshaft12

osage,how old is to old?
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:26:30 am »
I have a osage stave thats 10 years old, it dark orange brown color an its hard a rock. Just wondering if you could still make a bow out it.

Offline Will H

Re: osage,how old is to old?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:36:38 am »
I made a bow from a fencepost earlier last year that was close to 100years old. It was dark all the way through the wood. It just gets better with age! :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:49:44 am »
wow seriously I put a draw knife on this piece an it was like drawing steel,I guess ill rasp it to death. thanks for info

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:09:20 am »
You're kidding......right? 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:34:18 am »
I just made a bow out of a 30 year old yew stave and it shoots fine. From what I hear, osage is much more tolerant to age than yew so you should be good.  8)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:35:01 am »
nope dont think he s kiddin iv worked some fence post into bow s my grand dad put in when he was a boy old er the better but much much harder haha  brock

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:30 am »
I have some 25 yr old splits that are getting chased and spliced this weekend. I cant wait to work it. I will take hard seasoned osage over chewey dried osage ANYDAY.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
I'll trade you a brand new shiny osage stave for that old hard one >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »
Fine wines and osage need time to really show off their best!

That latewood on your stave will turn a blade like the best plate armor would on an Abrams tank.  But when you catch that early wood between it will make you grin like a fool!  I've draw knifed 140 yr old osage and getting a growthring was the easiest thing you ever saw.  I just love well cured osage. 

The worst osage is half cured stuff.  I've caught the early wood on staves with my drawknife and had it cause grain tear-outs in the latewood underneath!  After letting that stave sit in the corner another couple months curing out it finally began to obey my commands.  Fortunately I only had shallow surface checks in the ruined growthring. 

Get after that stave or send it to me.  I've never heard of osage too old to work, but wine eventually turns to vinegar and worse!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:26 pm »
Osage and Yew, because of their durability, cannot probably not get too old. The wood could be 300 years old, but as long as it has been properly stored and is in good condition, should work great.

James