Author Topic: Hawthorn bows  (Read 2515 times)

Bill Vaughn

Hawthorn bows
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:33:03 pm »
Hi, all. Does anyone know which American tribes routinely used bows made of hawthorn? And any ideas about how these were constructed? Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hawthorn bows
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:27 pm »
Hawthorn should make a very good bow if you can find any straight enough. I think RyanO built one a few years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:21:21 pm »
Welcome to PA , Bill !!
I have been wanting to do some Hawthorn
 so far I have not found any good stuff to use
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:36:36 pm »
Welcome to PA , Bill !!
I have been wanting to do some Hawthorn
 so far I have not found any good stuff to use
Guy

Ill get ya some Guy...stuff grows big n like weeds around here...I did cut some,but haven't made a bow from it yet,and I actually gave what I had away...n I can garaunty it'll have some character to.

Not sure if any NA tribes used hawthorn for bows??? It can be finicky after being cut

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:08 am »
So far as I know, Hawthorn is not native to this country so it's not likely that it was used by any native tribe in NA
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:31 am »
Marc, there are a few Hawthorns that are native to North America.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Qwill

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »
I've made two bows from Hawthorn, and I like it. I think the type I have here in Oregon is Black Hawthorne, which my folks always call Thornberry. It's tough stuff, and if you don't mind a little twist or character, it works great. It would almost be worth coppicing a couple Hawthorn bushes just to get staves later on. If I had to make bows from only local woods, I would pick, in no particular order hawthorn, serviceberry, and yew, followed by douglas maple, which is hit or miss ( ha ha). Okay, not that funny.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:53:18 pm »
It would seem that there are a few native species of Hawthorn.  I know they are not native to our area here because I remember my grandmother telling me that they were a pest and they didn't have any in the area, until my grandfather brought some from Quebec that is.  I still doubt it was used since there are much easier wood to work available.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com