Author Topic: shaft species  (Read 1466 times)

Offline GaryR

shaft species
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:57 pm »
I'm trying to keep it primitive, meaning making my own without home depot's involvment. I have some bamboo drying now. What other options do I have. I have access to oak, hickory, elm, cedar and various other species native to East Texas.
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: shaft species
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:23:33 pm »
Gary, are you planning to split out shafting or use shoots for shafts?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:43 am »
Whatever you recommend Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:19:23 am »
Jackcrafty(Patrick) lives in Texas and makes excellent NA arrows. He has some build alongs in the How To section.
  I like making hardwood(sourwood for me) shoots arrows. They are tough and when made right, they fly great. They can be as spine tollerant as cane because of the natural taper...and they are tough!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:51 am »
Thanx, Pat

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:38:12 pm »
Thanks for recommending my how-to's, Pat!

Gary, try to locate some yaupon holly in the woods.  It's an understory shrub.  Google it.  The shoots make excellent arrows and the wood is very light colored which makes paints and pigments brighter.  Also, you might find privet or indigo in your area.  These species grow right next to each other sometimes.

Other Texas options for shoots are sage, poverty weed, kidneywood, roughleaf dogwood, and non-natives like salt cedar and crepe myrtle.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:17:09 am »
dont forget wild rose as well.

where in east texas are you located?  im in north east texas and have located a few river cane patches.  havent been back in a long time now actually, should be a few more waiting for me to cut now.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:25:06 pm »
Jackcrafty, no need to google yaupon holly, that stuff is embedded in my brain as it grows so thick and fast and is hard to remove. It makes property management that much harder. I will have to google some of the others though. Thanks a lot.

aero86, Our property is near Palestine. I have spotted some cane off the side of the highway. After I use the bamboo I now have, I'll try river cane as well. I expect them to be about the same.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »
This is a cool Thread.
Been doing some research and working up my Arrah building supplies and tools.

Mr. Pat, when you say Sour Wood, is that the knobby looking tree, that the living bark will numb your tung?
If its the one I'm thinking of the Northeast Texans call it Tickle Tung...

Thank You,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX