Author Topic: year of the snake  (Read 3999 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: year of the snake
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 09:39:59 pm »
NO NO NO!!!! NOT that much ...however the cable bill may have to wait...darn yella wood addiction  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »
Screw that cable bill soy! Buy another stave! Does osage grow anywhere in Minisoda? 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 09:56:21 pm »
Oh, ok, I was trying to find that one I was talking about just now, couldn't find it though. It was a beautiful stave. A very very very snakey stave. And yet perfect alignment. Last time I checked the auction it was at 440 or something. I was just thinking, you could probably buy 10 - 15, maybe 20 staves for that much... I never find osage growing like that where I live, it seems that all I got is straight osage, ... (which I ain't complaining about!!!  :laugh:). Man, I cut some osage last year, and had bug holes kinda like that. How deep do they typically go? I had a tree with about a 18" diameter, and had holes all the way to the center. Thats why I was wondering if they could be natural, like the beginning or branches or something, as they were full of real hard something? I couldn't stick nothing in it? I don't know...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »
I don't know about the bugs, I thought I herd that they like the sap wood...not the case here. Im not to well versed with hedge this is my 3rd piece well forth as  my second was actually 2pieces ??? And like pd pointed out I live in minisoda so I have limited access to both osage and yew and the bugs who love them ;D

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 11:54:04 pm »
Here's a 66" osage bow that draws 60# @ 26" draw.  I started at 1-3/4 fadeouts and tapered down to 5/8" tips (straight pyramid design).  Be extra careful with the longitudinal grain.  It can trick you.  One side of center may be very different from the other side of the center line.  Sometimes you have to "split the differences" to make a bow that snakey.  Just be sure you have no run offs.  I had a slight one on this bow and wrapped it with whitetail back sinew, for insurance.  The bow is now about 15 years old and has shown no fatique.

I can help you with Prairie Rattlers or maybe a few others, if you have something to trade.  I have no copperheads or corn snakes.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:00 am »
That's sick matt.. ;)...n I don't have any advice and ill defer to those better than me. Good luck. If that was mine it wood prob be sitting for a long time before I touched it

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:22 am »
Ya, thats a really nice looking bow... I find that it's important to have the last 3rd of the bow be as in line and straight with the string as possible, and as long as thats the case, your inside limb can do whatever it wants.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 12:44:09 am »
1 3/8" is plenty wide for osage, you just have to go a little deeper.
  If I might add, do step back and study that baby for a while. If you get in a rush you WILL screw up.  ::)  We all do!  ;)   Look at it from all directions and angles. Study the grain on the back and sides. Get to know this stave well then deside what she wants to be. I promise she won't lie!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:34 am »
soy glad u got it n not me lol i went after it a bit my self  didnt relize the worm holes were that bad  but iv had plms w this guys wood befor thats it no more  i do hope ya get a bow out of it do like pat says study it bro ha

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 01:15:05 am »
Thanks  ??? Is 64ttt gonna b ok for 55# 26-28" draw? Im going to heed the take it slow advice and lay it out both ways to see what looks better but if shorter is going to over stress it than that will take some of the guess work out ;) and btw that is one sweet looking bow what kind o so skins r those?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:22:43 am by soy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 07:16:32 am »
1 3/8 is plenty and normally 64 n-n would be plenty for 28,the worms are the problem,if you get them all out it will be fine but sometimes[lots of times] they go places you can't see,so I would rather be safe than sorry and make it a little longer if possible. By the way sinew won't help much on the performance on a snaky bow,it really needs to lay straight to do it's job.It will protect but if the worm holes are tunnelled under the limb nothing will really help,you will have weak spots [less wood where the tunnells are] Good luck and you have already been told slow and easy. :) :) Hope this one works out,it will be sweet for sure. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 07:53:14 am »
Thanks again pappy, I can see where they go ...I can eliminate them eather way I go but the one way I would lose it in the fades center of the handle would be 31-32"from the one end and the longer I could lose it by going narrow limbs1 3/8 "or just a touch less. Im trying to combine the coolest looking with the best performance  8)