Author Topic: 25 yr old billets! PICS  (Read 11496 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
25 yr old billets! PICS
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:03:48 pm »
Im on my way to my buddy Chucks place to get my late Christmas present. Some 25 year old osage billets! If I break this bow I swear all my stuff (including many yellow staves) will be sold off! I cant wait just to see and touch osage that old.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

These ol gals are rough around the edges. They been rode wet and put away hard. I think I can see a bow in them though. The possible length bow is still way up in the air. I gotta get to chasing.....................at Martys in January when my buddies Chris (Blackhawk) and Matt(MWiricki) can help me out! WHAT FUN! Eh guys? I have my dish to pass!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:03:04 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

Re: 25 yr old billets!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »
Must be those SPECIAL billets you were going to send me. Oh boy!!!

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:44:42 pm »
Is a 25 year old billet stronger than a 10 year old billet? Or would they probably have the same moisture content? Just curious. I'm sure though, having a 25 year old stave is just something special in itself.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:48:29 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:21:41 pm »
Im afraid your primo billets are only a few months cut Artsy!

Depends who you ask Dictionary. Some say dry is dry and some say seasoned is better than just dried. I have messed around with 4-5 yr old wood and it works and feels completely different than just dry wood. Some say well seasoned wood requires less wood to do the same work. Its just plain romantic to me more than the science behind it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 01:36:47 pm »
The moisture content of any wood will change as the R/H does. The resins, etc have a chance to chrystalize in the wood cells after years of seasoning. I don't know the rate or if 10year old is as good/bad as 25 year old wood but I'd rather use a 2-3 y o piece over a 1 y o piece and a 10 y o piece over a 2-3 y o piece. Maybe it is a maturity thing...in the wood that is!  ;).
  Pearlie, this will be fun to watch. Keep us posted.  Take your time and I'm sure you will produce a great bow with this special wood.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 01:38:01 pm »
Rats! >:(

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:03:57 pm »
Do I get first dibs on the yard sale?  Drums:  You'll love that old wood.  I have several 15+ year-old staves that indeed are a pleasure to work.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »
You got it Matt. I will auction off whatever you leave behind..............Not much Im betting!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »
I think you'll find it takes longer to reduce the M/C of wood that old (if needed) but I also believe you can make a working bow with a higher M/C than an unseasoned but dried piece. It's pretty much seen it all in that amount of time and not much is going to hurt it. I take that back, it hasn't seen Pearly yet >:D!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 03:45:06 pm »
I think you'll find it takes longer to reduce the M/C of wood that old (if needed) but I also believe you can make a working bow with a higher M/C than an unseasoned but dried piece. It's pretty much seen it all in that amount of time and not much is going to hurt it. I take that back, it hasn't seen Pearly yet >:D!
I love it
 it aint seen Pearly yet!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:48 pm »
Hey Pearly, I got dibs on that new Grizzly bandsaw >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »
What did you say his address was again? And when will he be away from home?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 25 yr old billets! PICS
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 10:05:44 pm »
All you VULTURES out there wanting my wares..............I added some gravy to your meal up top............no extra cost!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 11:51:23 pm »
You know we are just kidding ;D  Good luck with the billets. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 03:12:28 am »
NEW GRIZZLY BAND SAW!?!?!what one u get??can't wait to see a bow be born out o those ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...