Author Topic: Can set be "removed" from an old, shot in bow? Maybe so..TEST 2  (Read 10726 times)

Offline druid

Re: Can set be "removed" from an old, shot in bow? Maybe so..PIC
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »
Great experiment man!!! Too much people too much time answered with NO without personal expirience about it.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 03:10:48 pm »
Great experiment whether it's the exception or the rule...  success and new life for an old bow!! I don't know how I would accomplish the cold except maybe the beer box a the local Liquor store....   for me every new bow is an experiment but I have another thread to save in my fix it files...

Cool stuff Drums :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:22:13 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 08:23:27 pm »
Great experiment man!!! Too much people too much time answered with NO without personal expirience about it.

We will never see a TBBV if we dont think outside the box like the authors did on the first four volumes Druid! Whether this worked/works or not, I can still check it off the list of things to try. The bow has been shot almost 80-85 times at full brace, full draw. Still holding a tad under an inch of reflex right after unbracing. I just dipped half the bow tonite, the other half will be done saturday. The three days to dry after that. I will get back to plinking away and checking back in with numbers. It should be fun to see what does or doesnt change, I hope she holds strong!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 08:51:19 pm »
Awesome discovery.. Just goes to show it never hurts to go out on a limb and try something new. nice

Jon

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »
Pearl
I have said it before bent wood is not necessarily collapsed cells , most of the time bent wood is just bent wood  !
 bend it again and go on!
There are times that you may not want to ,
 no is not my standard answer !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 05:58:27 am »
Excellent post!
A well documented and well constructed experiment, it's this sort of thing that moves our knowledge and experience forward.
Re working our early bows, is like started with 90% of the work done which certainly saves some effort. It also shows us how our bowmaking has progressed.
This gives us all 'permission' to try more radical stuff.
Nice one.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 11:35:48 am »
PD, good thinking. You are moving towards pHD level now by attempting to discover something new. 4 inches of set means your wood was probably wet? The experiment needs to be repeated by you and some others, though, before we can draw any lasting conclusions. Seems that a couple of factors could enter into the change you observed. You heated on the caul and you chilled it. We don't really know which of the 2 factors caused the change. Did you mention if you tried reversing set on the caul and letting it slow cool? I did read the whole explanation but may have missed it. I have cut   set by reflexing the last 6 inches or so. But I could not use this method. The "dashing" outside would get me. By the time I got out there it would have slow cooled anyway.I wish I could have seen your mad dash to 25 deg F temps.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:18 am »
George Im thinking the amount of wood removal and reheat are the reasons it staying so far. I think the cold didnt do much more than allow me to shoot the bow 5 hours later rather than 24 hours later. I cant prove or disprove the flash cooling helped. None of us can really. I have tried this with gradual cooling in the past and had okay results, but those bows had much less wood removal prior to reheat. The stave was dry actually. I just bent it too hard, too soon, too many times! But thats all I did wrong......;)

I make mad dashes around here all the time. Steaming recurve tips or a whole bow. Some day Im sure I will break something! I bet my darting through with a 72" 2 x 8 form with a bow clamped down was a sight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 11:45:12 am »
Most of the nay sayers about this sort of thing are just repeating something they heard someone else say and don't have any first hand knowledge one way or the other.

My advice would be to put the bow up and let it rehydrate for a month or so. Three times in the last couple years I rushed a bow with 15 or 20 heat corrections into service without letting it rehydrate for a few weeks, every one of them developed a fatal crack.

I give my severely heat corrected bows a grace period now before I do any serious shooting with them, haven't had any unexpected cracks since.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:21 am »
I'm thinking that experimentally you don't know which factor influenced the change until you isolate your variables. But I suspect you may be right. But on the other hand, you did shift that neutral plane around by your wood removal. Bows usually react with an increase in set when bowyers do that.For example, string bows that are too heavy=add. set.  Something has to account  for the set reduction...the caul or the flash, mad dash cooling. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:41 am »
Eric, is right. I just heat corrected out a prop twist in a red oak stave and let is set for a week before continuing. The darn thing will probably break anyway. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 11:57:11 am »
Most of the nay sayers about this sort of thing are just repeating something they heard someone else say and don't have any first hand knowledge one way or the other.

I agree Eric. I read TBBI & 2 and could answer any question asked......according to the books and not something I actually tried. I try not to post that way anymore unless I make it clear I have zero experience and Im just throwing some opinion around.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 12:01:32 pm »
Eric, is right. I just heat corrected out a prop twist in a red oak stave and let is set for a week before continuing. The darn thing will probably break anyway. :) Jawge

Probably right Jawge............stupid red oak...;)

The bow was half dipped last night and the other half will be done Saturday. It will have at least 6-7 days to relax before its gets braced up and shot to DEATH! Only one way to find out what is what. Keep in mind it wasnt tempered, just warmed up enough to form it. So rehydration may not be as lengthy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:08:24 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 03:09:14 pm »
Keep pressing on Pearl !
I enjoy reading about your adventures !!
So good to see someone excited about finding out for themselves !!
You may even inspire me to get of my Lazy duff and do something different !!
(now where is that old lemon wood bow anyway? Maybe if !!)
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 02:54:32 am »
Nice post! Im trying a similar rebuld on a short hickory. I did not try reflexing just heating out some set on a flat 2by, I took out 50%some or more. I cooled it down with ice from my w7, I have not braced it yet and plan to back with linen, ill post that if it ever gets done ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...