Author Topic: Draw Knives  (Read 12894 times)

Offline Aelerik

Draw Knives
« on: December 26, 2011, 08:23:43 pm »
Hey,
This might be just me being lazy but i cant seem to find out what type of draw knives yall are using? Can someone give me a decent brand/model to look at? I have one that was made in 1908 and it works amazingly but i need one with a slight curve at the bottom....plz and thankyou  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Draw Knives
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »
I used to have the use of a friend's grandfather's handmade draw knife.  It was fairly roughly made and showed hammer marks on a few places, but it was good steel and held an edge thru the worst osage you could throw at it.  I finally had to return it against my will.

So I went and paid $12 at Menards for what turned out to be the worst tool I ever owned.  The steel was so soft it would roll the cutting edge by drawing it thru cottonwood bark!  I finally had all I could stand from this piece of crap and threw it in the bushes up on the hill behind the house.  Later that night I went out and found it and threw it deeper into the woods, I was still seriously peeved at it.

I went to Lee Valley Tools online that night and bought an Austrian Drawknife.  There is a bit of a radius to the cutting edge and it comes in at a Rockwell hardness of 58-60.  It's not as heavy as I would prefer and I dislike the drop angle of the handles.  One of these days I will have to heat the bends in the handles and change that, but for now it works pretty good.  With a little work with a stone I had the edge sharp enough to slice cigarette rolling papers! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:58:42 pm »
try yard sales and antique stores. 25 bucks is the most I've had to spend.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Shaun

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »
Low rent antique malls have them by the dozen at 10 to 25 bucks. The kind of place that advertises "Over 100 dealers under one roof" are my favorite.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:04:37 pm »
Look on Ebay.

And JW has a point, I like Lee Valley for tools as well.

Postman has a good point as well, Antique shops can hold good blades also.

But I've foud some decent blades on EBAY.
There are quite a few here worth tuning up and using.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5846&rt=nc&_nkw=drawknife&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »
No idea of the brand. You can find them at flea markets, and second hand stores. The top one was my Dad's. I bought the Swedish push knife at a second had store about 15 years ago. I use it for ring chasing and scraping. The 3 middle tools are shavehooks and come in handy for ring chasing too. Jawge
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:38:56 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:38:41 am »
  I picked up two at a flea market for 30 bucks total.  One is marked "Keen Kutter" and the other is marked "Reliant".  one is straight and the other has a slight curve to it.  Not sure how old these two are, but they work as good if not slightly better than the newer one I have that I paid $70 for.  Just looking at em' makes me wonder about their history and what kind of stories they could tell, it's a neat feeling to use them.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
Stay away from the foldable ones. It's a pain to keep tightening them up, and if you don't keep them tight, you tear them up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:34:57 pm »
I got mine at the Flea Market years ago and my small one I got from Keenan, he made it. I just turned down buying a box of 20 old ones in various degrees of shape for $75 at the Flea Market.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:02:33 pm »
When looking for a flea markey draw knife a little rust is common but be sure the edge isn't pitted or at least not so much you can't get the pits out without grinding the blade. 
My favorite draw knife was handed down to me by my farther-in-law. He died before I got to meet him 32 years ago. I believe ge got it from a flea market himself.   I have a small draw knife that a friend made. He was selling them at the NC State Shoot near Hickory probably 8 or more years ago.
  The old ones are the best for the money. Unless you want to pay a bunch for one don't buy a new draw knife. The less expensive ones are made cheaply with poor steel and not worth the wood handles on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:43:35 pm »
"Low rent antique malls have them by the dozen at 10 to 25 bucks. The kind of place that advertises "Over 100 dealers under one roof" are my favorite."

X2...  kind of cool to find these tool treasure boxes :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »
I bought my best one at a local antique store for $20.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mspink

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:25 am »
I bought one in a hurry online and it ended up to be a real good draw knife. Has a curve to the blade and I have made 30 or 40 bows with it, maybe more, and never sharpened it. The brand name on the top is DCHSENKOPF, At least thats what I can make out. Its kinda hard to read. Its a great draw knife though. Paid 50 for it.
Aim small miss small!

youngbowyer

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 11:28:37 am »
i like the swedish push knife as well. Just rip of the handles and put vertical handles on and and you're good to go. I also like thetraditionalwoodworker for tools.

Offline Aelerik

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 01:59:19 am »
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies I definitely have a better idea of what to look for now  :)