Author Topic: Chittamwood Done "Lumpy" pics and Shooting Video  (Read 4526 times)

Offline coaster500

Chittamwood Done "Lumpy" pics and Shooting Video
« on: December 25, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »
Well here’s “Lumpy” #5 all dressed up and ready to do something? 64” 54@27. This was an experience for me to work a stave that was not so perfect and deal with it’s problems and the one I created getting to aggressive with the grip and having to do a glued up handle using the almost black Poplar I used on the tips. I also used a piece of it on the riser for a rest and left the riser with out a wrap. I stained it with sample packs of Espresso Stain from Home Depot and sprayed it with Spar. I steel wooled it with OOO to take the shine off. The bow shoots very smooth with very little stack for its weight and I pull it to the 27” mark. It’s almost as fast as my Hackberry but much smoother drawing at almost the same weight.

Anyway fire away if you see something that needs to be done different….  Thank you for the help and encouragement in the process… 

Finished #5

Old posts about this Stave

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29417.0.html
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29521.0.html
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29619.0.html

---------------

Shooter videos….   The money shot ….  Click on the pick for the Video

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:14:23 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

Re: Chittamwood Done meet "Lumpy" with pics and Shooter Video
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »
Thanks again EVERYONE for making me feel welcome here on PA....  and for all the great advise and encouragement :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 05:38:59 pm »
cool bow, I  like the tiller....well made
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 06:30:55 pm »
dude you nailed that one , really like the video you can see the limb timing is perfect. your quick becoming the bow MACHINE !

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 08:55:52 pm »
Its always fun watching a budding bowyer grow and make leaps and bounds in front of your eyes. Your doing great ....keep up the good work ;)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:45:13 pm »
Great bow! Congrats on #5!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »
Congratulations. Very nice bow and tiller looks great.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 03:25:47 am »
Thank you all...  it means allot :)

dragonman, it was a challenge for me but the knots made the top limb the stiffer of the two and it worked out. The wood in the bottom limb was almost perfect so it can work it's @$$ off :)

Ken as far as "MACHINE"s" go... when I can crank out bows as fast as you and make them as short as you that don't turn into Boomerangs when unstrung well, U sir are a machine... Don't know how the timing worked but it does shoots and draw very nice?

blackhawk, budding beats the heck out of decomposing and with all the talent and help around here even a hack like me has to get a little better :)

criveraville, I really liked that Boo bow you posted a while back....  That was a cool bow!!

Keenan, you give us all something to shoot for...  someday maybe, maybe I'll have a little bit of your talent...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:00:06 pm by coaster500 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 09:39:26 am »
Looks good! Nice finish work and recovery on the handle area.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »
Thanks Chris, almost lost this one at the handle. I thought about backing it before I finished it. I checked for any splinters or cracking around the knots after shooting it a bunch and both limbs seemed really sound. I hope it holds up!!

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Chittamwood Done "Lumpy" pics and Shooting Video
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »
Nice One! Looks like she's fast!

Jon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 02:44:24 am »
Jon Thank you, it's plenty fast for me but more than that it has a very smooth draw and it hits where I look :)

Offline BakhSA

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 03:27:59 am »
Great bow.
MERRY CHRISTMAS COASTER !!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:51:36 am »
Welcome! That is one fine bow! Great tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »
BakhSA....Спасибо и с Рождеством Христовым Вас

Professor George your website has been visited many times... You have answered a "Bunch" of questions without knowing it :) 

Thank you...