Author Topic: 'solstice' bamboo/ipe...chrono results added  (Read 6896 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
'solstice' bamboo/ipe...chrono results added
« on: December 25, 2011, 03:55:55 pm »
Hi everyone....happy christmas....I finnished this bow on the winter solstice, just shot him in with a few hundred arrows to see how stable he was.  Of all the bow material combinations I beleive this has to be up there with the best. Very good speed and no hand shock at all...
It is 60lbs @27"and  59" ntn. Came in at 19oz..... for a 60lb bow with a 10" stiff handle, that is pretty light ( I think). I've been tweeking the design of this bow for a few years to see what the materials can take, this time I increased the bamboo thickness to 3/16" ( I usually use 1/8"), to see what difference it would make!!!  This bow started with a 5" reflex and ended with 4" and took 1/4 " of set in the straight section of llimb. It seems that with these bows, after about  3 1/2" of reflex there is a slight deforming of the materials, probably the ipe belly. I dont think I'll push the reflex further with future bows of this type, but work on refinning the bending profile..... and maybe using a different core... Was wondering what was the biggest reflex anyone has got out of boo backed ipe to date, does anybody know? Was also wondering if anyone had tried a 50/50 thickness with the boo and belly???
   By the way,  finnished ths bow for the first time , with 4 or 5 coats of pure tung oil , then made my own wax polish out of beeswax and carnuba wax ( and various other bits)...another experiment
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:48:10 am by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: 'solstice' bamboo/ipe
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
I love the profile and you are right, Ipe and Boo is a heck of a combination. Very fast looking bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:17:34 pm »
Crazy sweet...I love the reflex for performance wise. Now let's see it at full draw ;)....your prob about 7" away from 27".

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 07:27:04 pm »
Yeh, you're right Blackhawk, its a bit off full draw....I got the wife to take some pics while shooting and picked the best focused pic, maybe not the best fulldraw pic. I'll have a look for a better one.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 08:11:36 pm »
Yep!  A R/D is pretty when those limbs unfold.
Lakeland, Florida

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:47:35 pm »
No problems ;).......I just wanted to see that baby open up into a V at full draw...I can already tell your tiller is good. 8)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 10:54:17 pm »
Very nice work, sweet lines!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 10:55:55 pm »
Good experiment there. I like the profile of this bow. Nice job.

Cipriano 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 01:45:34 am »
Very nice bow, Dragonman. Ipe/boo is a great combo. My first ipe bow was hickory bacled. I went with a shory wide bow and ended up with less belly than backing. The bow shot well but looked a bit off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 10:22:01 am »
Cool curves Dragon. How wide is that bugger?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 12:47:20 pm »
thanks everyone for looking and the kind words, I do appreciate it...I think we all need some encouragement and respect for our efforts!!! and I welcome any criticism and advice too...thats the most helpfull...
Pearldrums its bang on 1 1/4" out of the fades, I tried a bit wider and a bit narrower and I think the r/d bows prefer 1 1/4", straight versions like it a bit narrower.. 1 1/8".
Thats my conclusion anyway

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:50:37 pm »
Very nice Experiment!! 

I love R/D designs for hunting bows, sweet!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 06:54:10 pm »
Most of the bamboo/Ipe highly R/D I've made have been quick with 1 1/8", or just a hair less out of the Fades. But, not all Ipe is the same.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »
Really like this bow. You did some fine work.

Lane

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 08:34:30 pm »
Mullet, your right,  the darker more oily ipe seems to be the strongest, bamboo also varies a.lot in strength and depends how flat the boo backing is,along with so many other things,... its impossible to make enough bows to draw solid conclusions,so its good to hear others experiences too...how much reflex did you use on you're ipe r/d's