Author Topic: Introduction, my first bow, and a question  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Nifty

Introduction, my first bow, and a question
« on: December 24, 2011, 08:45:17 pm »
Merry Christmas Eve to all you guys!

I've been reading and lurking here for quite a while, and the bug has definitely bit me. I want to thank everyone at PA for sharing their knowledge and experience with the world, for free - you guys are awesome.

Here's a pic of the first bow I made, its a red oak "ELB" style. It was made from a scrap piece ripped off an oak board, so there wasn't much material there to begin with. It ended up at about 20# at 27". I learned a lot on it. It took a couple inches of set in the handle area, because in the beginning I had the outer limbs way too stiff and it was bending way too much in the handle. I don't have many pictures and most of them are terrible, so we'll skip straight to the full draw:

Now for my question:

Do any of you guys know of a lumber supply or something like that where I could get some bow wood in the Houston area? Boards are fine, something like Hickory or Ipe or Ash. My wife and I are stuck in Houston, TX because we have adopted our first child. We are waiting on government silliness before we can take him home to north GA. He's a great baby and sleeps very well, and sleeps a lot during the day. I am going completely crazy after 9 days in a hotel room, with at least another week to go. I wanted to see if I could get out for a couple hours while he's sleeping one day, just to kill some time until we can head home. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline mspink

Re: Introduction, my first bow, and a question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
Ill bet that 20 lb bow leads to a life long interest of bow making. One of my first was a 10 lb bow for my step son which seems many years ago. That bow looks good for a first.  And If there is a lowes or home depot around they sell lumber as red oak, maple and poplar usually. Have made bows of all three from there. Thats a start. I prefer Home depot because here you can cut whatever length you want without taking the whole board. Hope this helps and welcome to PA! 
Aim small miss small!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 01:02:40 am »
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 01:17:13 am »
Good first bow! Sounds like a wonderful holiday for you all - hope you don't get too stir crazy!  Maybe google "lumberyard" for the areas you are in and you'll be going thru and call 'em up.  They might have native boards like hickory or ash in addition to walnut, oak, etc.... Maybe even osage boards or posts. Lotsa that yeller stuff down there.
 Good luck and congrats  on the adoption!

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 10:12:59 am »
Nifty you got it going on...a new addiction and a new addition. Congratulations on both.
Welcome to PA.

Lane

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:23:48 am »
  You pay the S&H I'll send you a hickory stave (2 years old) cut down to simi bow form reflex add.

If you like to add some weight sinew it. You say it beens to much in the handle and more sinew here untill you have it where you like it. Or just chalk it up to exsperince and build arother. Keep moveing forwand on mater how many bows you build they'll all tell you something. I you lession.
  GO SLOW AND THINK ALOT. There should'nt be any hurrying with it comes to building bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 10:27:54 am »
Welcome aboard, congrats on both accounts.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 11:15:22 am »
Congrats on a nicely bending first bow and welcome aboard. surely you can find some wood in Houston. Have fun with the baby and your new hobby.         ennet
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:16:17 pm »
Nifty welcome to the famila ;)

That's a great looking first bow for sure! Congratulations on your new bow and on your new baby.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »
Congrats and welcome!  For wood sources try:

Rockler (hope link works):  http://www.rockler.com/retail/houston-texas-hardware-store.cfm

Houston Hardwoods (looks like a good choice):  http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/

Woodcraft:  http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/redirect.php?id=12005

Happy shavings!!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »
Welcome and Congratulations on your first bow and new obsession !!

Shooting the first one is a great experience. Feels great doesn't it :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »
dont know about wood suppliers over there but a nice first bow and good luck for future ones
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Dazv

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »
thats a great first bow

Offline Nifty

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:38:48 am »
Thank everyone for your kind words!

I already have a H-D Red Oak board bow at about 90% finished. (You can see it leaned against the wall in the picture) I was going for 40 @ 27. We'll see how it comes out!

Stixman, that Houston Hardwoods seems to be exactly what I was looking for. If I get a chance I will check them out tomorrow, and share the results of my adventure.

Crooketarrow, any idea what shipping on a stave typically runs? I didn't realize you could ship something with such an odd shape, but now that I think about it I guess the shippers will ship anything you're willing to pay for... I have a Fedex account, that may make things easier.

Next adventure: Find some Dacron!
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:52:45 am »
Welcome aboard Nifty.

I'm in the Houston area.

Clark's Hardwood Lumber is another good lumber place to wood hunt.
http://www.clarkshardwood.com/

Houston Hardwoods is Very Good.
I hunt there from time to time.

Another good source is Tree Trimming outfits.
As you drive around town keep your eyes and ears open for the sounds of the Grinder and track it down.
I also chase Chain Saw noise down when I'm out.

Strangely enough Woodcrafters is pretty light on wood selection.
But I do love to shop for Sand Paper, Glue, Super Glue and What Not there.

If all else fails PM me after the first of the year and I'll pass you an Osage Stave.

Happy Hunting!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX