Author Topic: A Cypress Flat Bow  (Read 18669 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: A Cypress Flat Bow
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 10:33:33 am »
  Carl,
          Swamp monkey hasn't checked in since 2017, you may want to PM him, sometimes it goes to email...
          I have access to Cypress also and thought about one layer of sinew or rawhide for protection, but not sure of the compression quality of this wood...The stuff I have played with seemed really brittle...I think he nailed the proper design...A long bendy...
                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 06:50:53 pm »
Lol. Thanks Don.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 08:01:31 pm »
Awesome man, I live in South Florida, and of course there is alot of  cypress here. Do you have to chase a growth ring on that wood or anything of the sort? What is used for the back? Sap or heartwood or does it matter? Thanks

Carl, I have been away for a while chasing life goals in other areas.  Sorry, about the delay.  I did not chase a ring.  This was a sawn board.  I sought out a quarter sawn  board, but a decrowned section would have done just as well.  parallel grain is  the big thing with board bows. I am  not sure how the original was crafted.  I am just guessing. but I think this is a sap wood section.   Backing? - self bow.  No backing at all.