Author Topic: american warbow society meet and great  (Read 12666 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: american warbow society meet and great
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 04:54:05 pm »
I am a former NAA Basic Instructor (I let my cert. run out) so I can set up any rules (safety and otherwise), ext. for shoots >:D

training instructors and range officers is something we might want to look into later on down the road

--Mark R.
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:32:07 am »
Great job with the youtube channel so far, jackcrafty!  I'll keep up watching it!  You are a fantastic craftsman, sir :D

And good luck getting a group together, fishfinder!  Start small and go from there, sounds great!

Dag, and anyone else. definitely create a channel! (subscribes) We need to get the word out as much as we can that we're practicing this historic art of archery, and that it's a rewarding and fun art to study.  Also, being transparent and putting out there our honest efforts is a great way to get feedback from other enthusiasts out there that we'd otherwise not be able to practice with in person.

Mark, that sounds excellent! I'd be especially interested in becoming certified in instruction (as I'm also interested in being certified and ranked in other historical martial arts) Would you like to help us form up rules for the (North) American Warbow Society?  We will need to keep in touch with the EWBS and DWBS people and see what their basic format is, but there's no reason why we can't also have ideas and discussions about how to best ensure the safety of all practitioners and guests, and to avoid any potential legal disputes (I need to figure out how to do waiver forms!) in the states.

I propose that in the near future, we should get a group chat of some sort set up to discuss what we need to do form wise for the society/charter, what our group's purpose is all about, and basically anything we need to do in the next few months to get things going.  Any ideas, feedback, advice, etc. would be welcome.  I propose we try to do this on a monthly, or even biweekly basis if possible to start with.

Dag, jackcrafty, fishfinder, and Marz5, what do you think about that?  I think between the five of us (am I leaving anyone out?  feel free to chime in if I am) we could get a good discussion going to see what we could do.

Who would be interested in participating and what program would be best for this?  Skype?  Google chat?  Something else? 

I'm going to wait a couple weeks (going to be a busy month for me!), see if there's the interest and some sort of consensus of how to do this, and then I'll send an e-mail to those interested to try to set up a date/time to do this.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:26:11 am »
i like the idea of the chat, i think skype would work, never heard of google chat
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:30:28 am »
Jonathan, a skype chat sounds good if we could have a "conference" type video chat.  I've only used skype for one-on-one chat, so I don't know if there is a conference feature.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 03:46:02 am »
Ok, two votes for skype, I believe there is a conference chat, I'm not sure if you guys would prefer typed or video, but we'll figure that out.

Does anyone that wants in on this not have the ability to have at least a type chat on skype?  Or is anyone else opposed to the idea of using skype for a conference?

For a chat date, how does some time on the 21/23 or 28/29th (these are both saturday/sunday weekends)? 

I'll wait a few days for others to chip in and then I'll send an e-mail out to those interested!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 03:52:54 am »
so what time, we need to work it out with the differences in time zones

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 06:15:32 am »
Skype conference sounds like a great idea! I have skype on the comp im using now. However, this comp freezes up after a awhile, maybe 20 minutes or so. I'll try and figure something dependable out before the tentative conference.

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 05:03:25 pm »
skype is fine for me (my cam is broke but my mike isn't), as far as the time goes at worst the is a tree hour time difference between me here on the east coast and those on the west coast. I can be available either weekend.

google chat is for google+ users....

man-o-man I just realized I never formally introduced myself, well here I go:
Hi my name is Mark Russell and I'm a bowaholic. I've been shooting somewhat constantly since I was 16 and been making my own product since the beginning of last year....  ::) >:D

--Mark R
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:40 pm »
Ok, so we'll use Skype and try a group chat/conference chat (I'll familiarize myself more with the program as I haven't used it in a while).

And let's set the meeting tentatively for Saturday, January 21, at say, 6pm? We can adjust the time and date if need be, or postpone it to the next weekend if necessary.

Sound good, everyone?
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:08 pm »
6 east coast?

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 02:22:08 am »
Oh yes, time zones. 

If 6 pm U.S. east coast time zone (5pm central, 4pm mountain, 3pm pacific) is amenable to all involved, yes.  If those in earlier time zones need to bump it to later (or earlier, or whenever is convenient), we have plenty of time to make sure we're all ok to talk then.  I'm fine with pushing it to later eastern standard time if we need to.

What are your thoughts, everyone?  Would 6 east coast work or is there a better time?
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 02:51:10 am »
that works, any time is fine

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 07:39:27 am »
That time and date works good for me as well!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 01:21:29 pm »
Sounds good.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas