Author Topic: bending osage suggestions please  (Read 1275 times)

Offline sadiejane

bending osage suggestions please
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:46:31 pm »
ok, this is that same stick of wood im attempting a decent bow for one of my brothers
worked down a bit more(still some ways to go esp in the handle area)

this is the natural shape of the stave so far
was working the left limb down more thinking i would heat and bend to match the right limb
but the more i get to looking at it, got to envisioning flipping the tip on the left limb(it is such a lovely arc)
and bending the right limb to match-making a sorta gull wing/5 bend bow...
whacha all think?
how would you proceed?

still would appreciate some pix of "somewhat" bendy handled bows esp the handle area...

thanks ya'll

happy holidays!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:51:14 pm by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline sadiejane

Re: bending osage suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
heres another pic with the bow held up so the handle area is mostly flat
gives a bit better perspective on how this stick bends...

thanks again fellas!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:52:45 pm »
Trace that left limb unto a 2 x 6 and make a form to replicate it for the right limb. Then use dry heat to make a symmetrical bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:38:23 pm »
I like the 5 curve idea! I can see how it would work. The right limb would need deflexing and heat adjusted deflex stays during tillering rather than inducing lots of reflex into only one limb of a stave and having it pull out when it starts bending which can be a pain?
I think 5 curves were tillered to bend a little in the grip, the trick with bendy handles is to get it bending right upto the fades during tillering then a few inches short of full draw work the center. Only take off tiny bits of wood and shoot it lots in between scraping to make sure it doesn't bend more than a fraction - like so you can only just feel it move at full draw.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:24:04 pm »
this bow gives just a touch at full draw, this is an easy way to fill the shooters hand, just layered leather, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹