Author Topic: What kinda break is this?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline k-hat

What kinda break is this?
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:04:52 pm »
Well folks, I was a-tillerin away this morn on a silkbacked hackberry bow i been working on (thread's on TG), had her going nicely to 17", not overdrawn and one pull this morning brought a snap!!  :o    Not sure if it's a wood thing or a me thing.  Any input would be appreciated so i can prevent this in the future.  Never had one break like this:

Thanks in advance bowfolks :-[

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: What kinda break is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »
I'd call that a clean break.  ;) I've had red oak do that one time,I think it was fate. Never did see any real flaws in the wood,and really hadn't stressed it at that point either. Don't sweat it,start on a new one.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:16:25 pm »
Looks like a tension break to me, quite clean. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »
Possibly too dry!   It broke i tension and the way it broke straight across leads me to believe it was too dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:27:43 pm »
I'd say tension break. To dry probably, but I do have two logs of red elm that I got about fifteen staves from and the first three broke just like that. Ever since, I have chased a ring and used silk or rawhide. No problems since.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:32:31 pm »
Dry rot I would say,make a little bow out of what is left, ,just a few inches long and give it a bend test and see what happens. I do that on most white wood bows I build now if I am not very sure of where it came from and how it has been cared for. :) Sometime even if I know I will do that,don't take long and will tell you a lot and save a lot of heart break. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »
Thanks guys, I'd like to blame it on the wood too ::)  I cut this one down in april/may, roughed it out over several months.  This stave has been in my garage since i debarked and split it out.  If anything, i was worried about it not being dry enough (then again, we have been in a drought for about a year, and even in that short time it coulda gotten too dry). 

Looking closely at the outer layers, they don't look as healthy as the inner ones, actually kinda spongy looking.  The deeper the rings are, the healthier they look.  Maybe this was not the ideal tree, may have a bunch of firewood now (this was the first stave from 3 logs).  I tried chasing a ring on this one to start with, but it was near impossible (super thin).  The inners are thicker, so maybe i'll try chasing on another stave one of the very deep rings. 

Well, if that don't work, i've got some osage seasoning i can start roughing out to near dimensions, and there's always boards until i have dry staves.  Stoneberg has an osage stave for me i started awhile back and need to get back to as well. 

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »
Either too dry or the wood might have been too porous, I had red oak do this on me once for these reasons.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 03:52:27 pm »
Dry rot is what I call it to Pappy!
Yes it can happen even in live trees !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 05:02:24 pm »
  BAD
   A stave seasoned right will break across the back but stay together at the (splinter)belly.  Like PAPPY said.
  DRY ROTTED wood will break clean.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 07:09:38 pm »
I have made 7 bows of Hackberry. I have had the same breaks that you experienced on three of them. The three that broke were from the same tree and therefore I would tend to gravitate towards the wood being to dry or somewhat dry rotted.