Author Topic: 1st Adult bow  (Read 3292 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
1st Adult bow
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »
I just built my first adult board bow. I had done a kid's bow recently and it turned out great. It was a mollegabet design so I thought I would try one for an adult. I used sheetrock tape with Titebond II for backing, the tiller looks good, no hinges I can see and good even bend. It's 40lbs at 28 in. I shot several arrows through it. Once when pulling it back I heard a tick. I checked the bow over really good and found no cracks or crystals unless they are hidden by the sheetrock tape. I shot more arrows through it with no more sounds or problems. I'm wondering if my string may have settled in one of the roughed out string grooves or something. I was making this bow for my nephew for Christmas since the other bow I made was for his little brother. I hate to give hime one that might break. Any advise from you experts?

fyi---here is the build-a-long on the kid's bow if you are interested. http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/48223/Quick-Kid-s-board-bow-build-a-long

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: 1st Adult bow
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »
OK...update. It was definitely a cracking noise. I heard it again, but can still not find the crack. I would love to salvage this bow for him since Christmas is so close. I have a 1/8" hickory backing strip I could use. Can I put that over the sheetrock tape or should I just chalk this one up to firewood?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:51:42 pm »
Sure like seeing bows, but not enough to chase links around the internet and hunt for the photos. How about posting the photos here.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »
OK...here are a couple of pics. One braced and one at 20"...I think. Does the tiller look OK to y'all?

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »
looks like you're gettin a lot of bend at the grip fades and not enough in the middle of the bendy part. When you are tillering and looking at the curve shape, imagine the stiff outer levers don't exist and just perfect the shape of the inner bow.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:45 pm »
After looking more closely, I agree. Since I heard a crack, do you think it is too late to correct it? What about the backing with hickory idea?

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »
Couple things...you don't give the length so I am not sure what the limbs measure but I am sure
that , like randman says, it ain't bending for the length of the working limb as it should. Lot of
work going on coming out of the fades and that is probably where the tick is coming from.

Again you did not specify but if the bow is red oak it is most likely letting go from the inside out.

And... not trying to offend but the sheetrock tape makes your bow unsuitable for the "Bows"
forum. Only natural materials are allowed. I did the deed myself once upon a time and it got
moved as I am sure yours will be. Ain't no big deal.

You should probably remove the tape if you decide to do a hic backing. Use a heat gun and a scraper
or putty knife. But if it is red oak, personally, I would not mess with trying to save it.But that's me.

Lane

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:15:49 pm »

I'm sorry I wasn't more detailed up front. Yes it is red oak and is 64" n2n - 66" total. It is a amazing how photos can help you see what you can't see live. I was trying to get it ready in a hurry and I guess the belt sander got away from me at the fades.  I have some hickory and ipe. I guess I will take a try at that. Thanks so much for the help.  By the way, what section should I have posted in?

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:37:40 pm »
Mine got sent to Around the campfire. And by the way, Linen cloth is fairly inexpensive and
does a decent job as a backing. That is what I use now if forced to back a bow.

Lane

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »
I think it is looking pretty decent. Like was mentioned, make sure you get it bending throughout the entire working portion. This style is already a lot of stress on a smaller area so it takes special attention to keep it from hinging.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »
No need to say sorry lesken. Looks like a solid effort for your first adult bow. I've tried to fix red oak board bows by adding a wood backing in the past. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Keep in my it will need to be retillered completely if you do add the hick backing, it will add a great deal of draw weight. That kids bow you made looks pretty sweet! My kids would love to see that under the tree!!! Nice job on the build-a-long.

Tattoo Dave 
Rockford, MI

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:43 pm »
 Nice job. Like stated above, maybe a little more bend in the working parts.

Am I missing something, or have I just missed a rule about no drywall tape?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:37:12 pm »
If it where me I'd hurry up and make another one....  I know that's not what you want to hear but little tick sounds are usually the only warning you get if you get one at all then splinters go flying.... I would rather error on the safe side especially if you are giving it to your nephew.   Just my friendly advise.   

I see a few flat spots in the limbs right about in the middle...but then the others have already pointed that out.   I don't know what kind of time you have between now and next week but even if you have a few nights after work you could make another one....   also you might consider using hickory for the bow itself.   It can stand a lot of punishment and still perform well. 

I love mollegabets! I'm sure he will be stoked!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:53:22 am »
Am I missing something, or have I just missed a rule about no drywall tape?
Depends if it is the paper tape or fiberglass tape. Fiberglass is a no-no.

SW Utah

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 01:50:25 am »
same thing happend to my red oak board bow in the final tiller.... turned out my handle just kinda popped off, check your handle that could have been cracking noise.
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain