Author Topic: Yucca bow backing?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Catnapper

Yucca bow backing?
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »
Just curious if anyone has ever tried backing a bow with yucca fibers......i read the post in primitive skills section that said guys use it for bowstring and it is unaffected by weather and super strong. I was thinking about making a yucca backed juniper! think it would work?
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Yucca bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »
Sounds cool! I've never heard of that, but would love to see the results. Keep me posted please.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »
That would be a cool experiment.
And i dont see why it wouldnt work,ppl backs bows with combed flaxen ( think that is the name for raw linenfiber)and thats basicly the same thing.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »
That idea intrigues me.  What glue would you use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »
I see no reason why it wouldn't. Folks use burlap, linen(raw[flax] and cloth), hemp and other natural fibers. A few guys were backing bows at the Tenn Classic last year with flax using TBIII for glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »
Luke---- im not sure what glue i would use. Im not a very experienced bowyer i have only made a a few bows and only one was backed. (with prairie rattler).  I live in Eastern Wyoming which is a bow wood dessert but we do have Juniper so i would love to use a wood native to my area. kind of a sentimental thing haha.

It will be a bit before i start this experiment as i need to go find a stave and gather some yucca. I am also gonna be starting on another piece of osage  that i ordered so it may be a month or two before i start the juniper bow. But i will definately do a build along when i do it! i just kinda wanted to get you more experienced bowyers thoughts  on it.  :)
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 07:32:00 pm »
We may have to start using that stuff for something other than fire starter !!
I may give it a try myself next fall sounds interesting ,don't know why I haven't done it yet other than the fact hickory doesn't need backed !
I await your build along!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !