Author Topic: Need Opinions On This Short Yew Recurve, Firewood Or Finish It????  (Read 5397 times)

Offline randman

Re: Need Opinions On This Short Yew Recurve, Firewood Or Finish It????
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:37 am »
You can tell by looking at the grain pattern that crack is following a natural split line perpendicular to the annual rings running through the center of the wood.
I personally don't think there is any hope. It'll just keep growing.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline johnston

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 02:53:58 am »
Ain't gonna happen. I would put it in the stinky can, so to speak.

Lane

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 03:00:15 am »
Josh, you need closer to 2" width near the fades to withstand the compression forces of such short limbs. Going to the trouble of appyling sinew to that piece of wood would be a waste of effort in my opinion.
Gordon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 05:35:20 am »
Simple.
Finish it...
Not because it's necessarilly a good idea, but because you will learn a lot about what's possible.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 09:48:04 am »
If your gonna trash it or burn it,then don't,and send it to me and ill waste my time sinewing and wrapping it,and ill try like heck to make a bow out of it just to prove the naysayers wrong...lol >:D .. hmmm...there goes goes my big head talking out loud again ::)

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:49 am »
Really that's a great idea Blackhawk, maybe everyone will learn from this. Josh, you know you'll always wonder what if...
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »
If you where to wrap and sinew that end, would all the added weight to an already static tip make a total dog? Just asking.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm »
I saw you said that from the beginning of the curve to beginning of curve is 48"? Personally I'd cut off below the crack and go back to work with the 48" stave. You can put curves back on it and sinew back it. You're only wanting 24" of draw length. If you sinew back it and recurve the tips again you should have no problem getting that draw length. That's just my two cents.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »
Thank you all for all the replys and all of your valued opinions, I think im gonna stick this one in the corner of shame and who knows maybe someday something might happen with it :-\ but for now I think I will move on to something with less problems, I am sure I can get a bow out of it but If I did I would probably have to shoot for lower draw weight . Who knows maybe someday you will see her on here. :D Thanks again for all of your input!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 12:16:40 am »
I'd wait till you have a similar length billet and splice the good limb to that.  Just remember to save the entire handle so you have some length to splice.  Tillering and matching an already tillered limb to a one not so is quite a bit of fun.  You could also make a takedown, that's what I did last time.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 02:38:31 pm »
Thanks George I very well may do that thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »
i would hold off and just ask john...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »
Haha ya I know what he would say, I was working with him about a week ago and he was working on a bamboo backed Yew recurve and it was beautiful!!! he called me the next day and said that a large splinter in the bamboo let loose so he did a rawhide patch and wrapped it then I went by the next day to check it out and after I shot it for a while it started to lift another splinter! He was talking about cutting it up for firewood and I talked him out of doing that and doing another wrap because he had put a fair amount of time into it and it was such a beautiful bow! He did it but said if another one came up it was fire wood! I said ill buy it from you if another one comes up lol
I think it was just a bad piece of bamboo as I have seen lots of these bows that he has built that had no issues. But never the less I would hate to see any bow he worked on go to fire wood!! Even if it was a complete break I would take it ;D

I know if I wanted to complete it I could and I could bandaid it up to probably hold for a good long life but I just dont think its worth the time and energy and as gordon said its probably under built for what I was wanting to get out of it. Who knows though someday I may want to do something with it :D

Thanks John
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:50:49 pm by Elktracker »