Author Topic: They make bows out of this stuff?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems

Offline hammertime

Offline hammertime

Offline hammertime

Re: They make bows out of this stuff?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:51:50 pm »
Thats what  I was thinking when I got this osage stave from George Stoneberg-but I decided to give my first try at osage my best shot,so I drawknifed and scraped and sanded untill I had what looked like a bow.Did my best on tiller even though I was faceing some knots and twists and checks.Turned out ok I think.55#@26",62"ntn.Always drooled when Pappy and many others posted these wicked character bows this might be as close as I get.Shoots great!Thanks for the stave George and all your help-Hammertime

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:00:42 pm »
Wow!  Great job.  I hope you didn't give money for that stave. >:D  I have some that look similar, I was planning on using them for fence posts. 

That is a really great job of making a bow from a really tough stave. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:40 pm »
Them nasty ones are the most fun! One bow from a stave like that will teach you what 5 bows worth of clean staves does.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline randman

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »
Sweeeet! Love the paint job!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:46 pm »
Nice job! Looks like you got er done!

Bill skinner are you giving out free staves or billets of osage?? ??? If you are ill take whatever you want to send me. Sometimes even hard to deal with wood is worth more to some than others because it may not grow in that persons area. :)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline hammertime

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »
Thanks guys still want to do someting special for the handle wrap yet George got some elm for the osage hope they turn out shooters as well-Hammertime ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:37 am »
Very cool bow. Like Pearlie said you learn a lot more from a stave like that.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 01:24:33 am »
I had no idea that stave was gonna be so rough.  The billets are no picnic either.  I  already apologised via email, but I gotta say that's a heck of a job building a bow.  Here are the pics consolidated for everybody to see.

You did well!!  Remind me in 6months and I'll send you a lot easier stave. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline hammertime

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 01:36:59 am »
Thanks George-I loved the challenge.I built bows from elm,hickory,cherry,ash and crabapple but nothing with the character this one has.Really like how osage looks with tung oil and I am impressed with how it can fling an arrow-Hammertime

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 01:59:59 am »
Kick a## job on that stave Hammertime. I have a shed full of staves that are challenging like that. Can't seem to get rid of any cuz I'm alway thinking maybe some day I will get tired of working good staves. It has'nt happened yet, but I'm sure someday it will. Once again great job on the bow.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:01 am »
Awesome. You did great with that and she looks like a dandy character bow. Congratulations.