Author Topic: BEND THROUGH THE HANDLE BOWS(??)  (Read 20314 times)

Offline tdog

BEND THROUGH THE HANDLE BOWS(??)
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:22:58 pm »
How do bend through the handle bows shoot/perform as compared to a non-bending handle bow like a pyramid style? I have never built a bendy handle bow, but I really like the full draw curves - especially with flipped/recurved tips. They look like they would draw smoothly, but do they have more hand shock? Also, do you want the handle to bend in an arc to match the limbs, or does it only bend slightly?

Pics would be much appreciated also. I can learn much better with visual aids. ;D

Mark
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Longbowgilly

Re: BEND THROUGH THE HANDLE BOWS(??)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:33:25 pm »
My full compass Yew ELB shoots beautifully, no handshock and its still pretty fast, I regularly do well at shooting 3D targets at our trad club, no reason why they can't be as accurate as a normal bow, mine is pretty light at 55lb @26 but another guy at our club has one made by the same guy who made mine and its 125 @28 and he is great at shooting that accuratly!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »
I am a newby and have only built 4 bows. My first one was a 54" Mulberry bendy bow. It was a bendy because it was a short stave. It is as accurate as my other bows and I really don't notice anymore shock than the other 2 that are stiff handled. I also made a 70" plus Sassafras ELB type that bends and it shoots very smooth. None of my bows has curved tips so I don't know if that will make a difference?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »
I have built my fair share of bendys from whitewood and hedge. None exceeded 60" ttt in length. I notice a touch more thump in my hand with the recurves, that is to be expected. The straight bows didnt have noticeable thumping. Handshock isnt so much design related in my opinion, it excess weight at the tips and fades/mids working too hard most often.  Being shorter limbed like most are, they arent super speedsters unless you add some sinew and reflex of course.  *These arent rules* - just what I have found with my own bows. Build yourself 5 or 6 of them and see what you come up with! Have fun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »
Any well designed bow of any design should shoot equally well. In most D bows its good to have the handle do less bending than the limbs.

Offline tdog

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:02:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies. PD your bendy osage recurve was one of the ones I've seen that really made me want to try that style.

Mark

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »
I've made lots of bendy handled bows and, in general, have not noticed any difference in handshock or performance compared to stiff handled bows.
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:17:39 pm »
Even before I get to the handshock (if there is any) I notice the bow bending in my grip and it's unnerving at first!  After shooting stiff handled bows for years the first bendy was a bit strange. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »
I concur J-dub-yah
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:01:27 pm »
tdog the other thing you asked...the handles on a bendy bow do not bend as much
as the limb. Handle usually looks stiff until the bow is drawn. At least that is my take
on the matter.

Lane

Offline tdog

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
Also(newbie question), would you tiller with a gradual thickness taper from the center of the handle area? As opposed to the uniform thickness of a pyramid bow with a straight taper in limb width. I hope I worded that right.

Mark

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »
Yes

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:20 pm »
If it is well tillered with good limb timing it won't be shocky. I think bend in the handle bows shoot every bit as well or better than their rigid handled bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:33:47 pm »
I'm wit cha Jawge.

Central Kentucky

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »
I have one more thing to add. A bendy handle has to be thee easiest bow to tiller for me. I have heard many say that its harder than a rigid handle. I never found that to be so in my experineces. Fades are responsible for making or breaking many a bow, when ya aint got none they cant be stiff or hinged!