Author Topic: selling furs/ running traplines.  (Read 9915 times)

youngbowyer

Re: selling furs/ running traplines.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 08:18:09 pm »
I think either but I have only used rawhide.

I run a few rabbit boxes mainly cause I like to eat rabbits. The skin is then but kinda chewy.

Lane
Do you make the boxes and if so do you have any plans for them?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 08:23:38 pm »
The Utah Trappers Association sponsors an auction here. They bring in 6-10 buyers to compete with each other. Search for your local Association because they can probably point you to the best method to get the most $.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
Yessir I make my rabbit boxes. Let me figure the best way to get you plans.

I will be back.

Lane

Offline johnston

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 08:47:29 pm »

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 01:48:26 am »
My Dad runs a line in Northeastern Ontario and I grew up trapping.
He actively traps about 9000 achers and sends his fur to the North American fur auction in North Bay. Beavers used to be the game but from an efficiency standpoint they don't pay at $30. It takes about 1.5 hours to do one properly not counting setting and checking traps. Rats are the new game. They are forecasted to go about $15-$20 this spring and you can do a rat in about 2mins. Plus they are everywhere so catching 500 to 1000 isn't that difficult if you are setup to handle that much fur in the 2-3 weeks during the run.
With the new EU guideline he has switched to all the new quick kill conibers and virtually given up on leg holds.
You will learn more trapping than you can imagine as it makes you spend a significant amount of time in the bush. I would recommend taking a trappers course and spending some time with a trapper to shorten your learning curve and increase your success.
I loved trapping as a teen and still go with Dad every chance I get.
Shawn
I gotta ask,,what does one do with a rat skin?? 
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 03:53:48 am »
That would be muskrat. Sort of like mini-beaver.  Josh

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 06:11:13 am »
He He! thanks for clearing that up for me! I was scratchin my head on that one!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
Northernsport are you talking about "tree rats" as in squirrels, or do you really mean rats as in "big mice"? lol   im confused :/
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 01:45:57 pm »
Youngbowyer,I used to trap quite a bit,but my buyer would'nt take rabbit.It was odd ,because he would give me a buck for possum,and 2-3 bucks for nutria,while coons,fox ,and bobcat brought good money,at least for the mid-1970s, ;) Ask your buyer if he'll take them though,especially since they are so easy to skin. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

youngbowyer

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 09:13:43 pm »
There's a fly-shop about 30 mins away from my house where I fish a lot so I'll see if they buy furs for flies. I did notice that the outdoors shop here sold squirrel skins for 15$ a piece :o I think I'll make moccasins out of the squirrel skins once I have enough, their skins is tough enough for the job I think and i'll use rabbit fur as a liner.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 07:47:11 pm »
Ive used the same boxes for possum traps,,I put a scrap of hot dog or sardines in for bait. Do you put any bait in for rabbits??  I guess I need to build some more since I love rabbit!!

Offline Northernsport

• Shawn Hannah
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 11:58:02 am »
I was talking about Muskrats.....
But in the summer when the Muskrats move out of the winter push-ups they are full of brown house rats! Just in case you get hungry.

Shawn
full blood country

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 12:20:26 pm »
He actively traps about 9000 achers and sends his fur to the North American fur auction in North Bay.

What are achers?
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »
I was talking about Muskrats.....
But in the summer when the Muskrats move out of the winter push-ups they are full of brown house rats! Just in case you get hungry.

Shawn
ha ha,,just didnt understand,,we dont have such creatures down here,wouldnt know what one was if it bit me   ::)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »
Heres this mornings catch of muskrats, an a few pics of coon an rats put up. I also send my fur to the Nafa fur auction in Toronto. Later I got some skinnin to do. Bob
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:36:03 pm by Outbackbob48 »