Author Topic: Silly knapping question  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Silly knapping question
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:10:23 am »
Ok,

so I see some points that also interest me.  I think they are "clovis" ? ?  Long and rounded with a pair of "flutes" down the side from the back toward the tip.  Are those spear points, arrow points, or knife points?  How are they hafted?  On a notched head or a tanged or dove tail but section I see how it will lace on.  But how do those go on?  What do they go on.  I wan't to say that the Navi in "Avatar" used that sort of point.  Yes I'm a sci-fi fan.  I think it's cool how they repurpose primitive technologies.  I don't own the movie so I can't see what the prop designers did.

The youtube videos I see shows larger ones.  I'm guessing Atlatl tip at smallest and knife or spear point usualy.  But are they ever made smaller?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Silly knapping question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11:21 am »
I've made smaller ones to mount on arrows, more like a Folsom point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:25 am »
clovis points ranged from a few inches long up to about 9 inches long. None have ever been found hafted- they're an old point type, made roughly 10,ooo years ago. Many people believe they were dart points to be thrown with an atlatl. The larger ones may be to big for that, and could be knives or hand-thrust spear points. All could double as a knife , hafted or unhafted. to haft one you can carve the shaft to fit in the flutes, dull the edges on the last 1/3 of the point , and wrap the entire package with sinew.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:06 pm »
Oh cool!

That is a metal blade right?

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »
yeah, it's steel.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA