Author Topic: Northwest prim bowmaking.  (Read 12523 times)

Offline PaleoNinja

Re: Northwest prim bowmaking.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 03:04:01 am »
Hi Everybody,

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Robert, I live in northern california and I'm new here on primitive archer, but i've been building bows for about 2 years now.  I'm glad that you were all interested in my video about the Klamath Style Yew Bow, it was a lot of fun to make.  I appreciate all of the criticisms and compliments alike!

Firstly, I'd like to say that this video is not intended to be a How-To video, I don't think I'd be qualified to make such a video seeing as I'm only a beginner.  It was however intended to be a small experimental archaeology piece; an attempt to  mimic old Homer Coopers techniques as best as I am capable only for the sake of my own curiosity  about native american composite bow construction.

I learned a great deal in making this bow, especially in regards to the properties of sinew, which I see has generated a bit of discussion here as well.  In my opinion this is not the best method of sinewing a bow, for several reasons.  I much prefer to lay wet sinew out on a board, comb it parallell and brush the glue onto it before applying it- like korean hornbowyers.  It does appear to be accurate though, ethnographically speaking atleast.  You can see sinews being applied with a small flat stick from seconds 23-33 at the beginning of the video. 

I found this sinewing method very difficult to use because the dry sinews were still stiff and therefore very difficult to straighten or neaten. Furthermore, since they only absorbed the moisture from the glue, they did very little shrinking as the bow seasoned.  This, I propose,  explains why the Yurok felt it necessary to string the bows backward during the application if the sinew- the reflex had to be induced with the string rather than with the sinew drying.  While it may not have been the optimal sinewing method, and my inexperience with this technique made it most unattractive, the backing was still very successful in my opinion.  After seasoning the bow held 4.5 inches of reflex!  After having shot around 200 arrows the bow has taken no set and has even retained reflex in the limbs. This is of course granted I've only taken it to a 19" so far where it pulls 40lbs.

Again thanks for watching, I hope you guys enjoyed the video.

Robert

blackhawk

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 08:28:26 am »
Hey robert, welcome to primitive archer....and thanks for being a cool customer being under fire and calmly explaining yourself...that's a +1 in my book to good character ;)....if anyone who had seen this on paleoplanet where you originaly posted it then everyone would've known your intentions with the video. I remained silent cus I knew Cesar would see this and prob let ya know,if not see it yourself. But again thanks for manning up and being wise with your well chosen words :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:37:46 am by blackhawk »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 10:21:24 am »
Welcome, Robert. That explains a lot. I thought it was a How-To video also, that's what generated my criticism. Looking forward to seeing more of your bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:21 am »
Robert welcome to PA !!
 I think you will enjoy your time here and fit in nicely!
I enjoy watching folks do pa as they see it .
some times we learn things that where right in front of us all along but we are blind to them, that does not necessarily make them right or wrong ,but often usefull !!
Thanks for sharing with us !
We look forward to more from you !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »
Paleo Ninja~  Thanks for weighing in!  Welcome!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »
Robert, Welcome on board. I applaud your efforts as well as your explanation. I definitely remember my first sinew job and how difficult it was. ::) For you to do a video as well on your first is an accomplishment. The video quality and your presentation was very professional and inspirational as well.
 The method that you just described for wet/comb method is what I was referring to as a method that will yield better results. I'm very glad that you understood my critique and I'm also glad that you were compelled to log in and give your input.  We look forward to seeing more of your work.  The NA sinew backed shorties are my favorites to build as I live in Oregon and have allot of Yew and Juniper locally. You have a good group of bowyers down in your area and It's my heart to get down that way for a rendezvous some day. Thanks again for your response,   Keenan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 01:10:32 pm »
If you guys saw the original video, Homer didnt soak the sinew and did it the exact same way.

That leads me back to my post. I wonder if the Klamath wetted their sinew and Homer wasn't aware of that, making an error of translation so to speak.  I just can't imagine that those people using sinew in everyday life for generations and generations were not aware of it's most endearing property!

But this is 'experiential archeology' at it's purest. And that is, after all, a great deal of why we all are here discussing this issue. 

I did notice everyone here has noted what a wicked little bow it turned out to be! It would be a long line of guys waiting for their turn to shoot it and a short line of guys lining up to be shot at with it!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »
JWH,brings up a point of contention,that i have had ,since i first saw that video,some time ago.No slight against Roberts use of the tecnique,as thats what he was lead to believe was the authentic way to do it.I have never seen a vintage bow from that region,or any other region,that used sinew backed bows,that would lead me to believe that a dry sinew job,had been used.I just dont think old Homer remembered this step correctly,or was really never taught this step and was just wingin it as he whent.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »
Cool video! I too would like to see the fish bladder video ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2011, 02:24:30 pm »
Im glad to see you here Robert. I would be interested to see a whole video on making the fish bladder glue.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »
JWH,brings up a point of contention,that i have had ,since i first saw that video,some time ago.No slight against Roberts use of the technique,as thats what he was lead to believe was the authentic way to do it.I have never seen a vintage bow from that region,or any other region,that used sinew backed bows,that would lead me to believe that a dry sinew job,had been used.I just dint think old Homer remembered this step correctly,or was really never taught this step and was just wingin it as he went.
Traxx I think you are right. I have studied several museum and a few very old NA bows that have been passed down and the sinew had been very meticulously done. I know that many would chew the sinew to soften and wet. I have also tried the method of using an antler to press in the fibers and though it did help somewhat, I now just use the fingers to gently press it into the wood.
 A few years ago I met a very old woman that I think was Northern Piaute. She had heard that I made NA bows and reached up on top of her cabinet and pulled down a few bows. My jaw dropped as she explained that they had been passed down through the generations. One was around 40" sinew backed and painted. "adult bow" and then she pulled down a very small (about 24") childs bow. As well as a bunch of dart tipped arrows.  I wanted to go back with my camera, but that was back when I was going through all the surgeries. Her old phone number is not valid and she no longer lives there. (Bummer) What I do remember is that the sinew was very smooth and the strings were sinew as well. I think it would be near impossible to make a dry sinew string.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:22:23 pm by Keenan »

Offline Dazv

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:15 pm »
Maybee that is my solution for a kayak bow. ?  ?

What if the sinew got wet it would all fall off.

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 05:04:45 am »
Here's a picture of the bow painted.  All of the lose fibers have been sanded away, and the bow has been covered with a geometric triangular pattern that I made up, but is based off of other northwestern style bow motifs.

Some of you expressed an interest in a more detailed video about the process of Fish Bladder Glue production.  However, since I already have a great deal of fish glue and it unfortunately  carries a $120per pound price tag, I don't plan to make it again within the next year. Instead I can execute the exact same process on deer sinew and make a similar video although I'm sure most of you already know how to do this so it may be waisted effort.  If there are people who would find it informative though, I wouldn't mind at all.

Robert

Offline PaleoNinja

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 05:06:30 am »
A few more pics

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 02:22:11 pm »
Nice to finally see it finished. ) thanks for posting Robert :D
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY