Author Topic: Northwest prim bowmaking.  (Read 12525 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Northwest prim bowmaking.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »
Question.  Would artificial sinew, dewaxed, laid out with TB3 work well?
Only if you are trying to prevent splinters. It will not pull it into reflex or help performance.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38:39 pm »
i wasnt going to say a word about the sinew...i am glad some one did...i would hate to see a rookie watch that and try to do the same...even the natives did better work...i wish the old footage was still on youtube....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:47 pm »
Yep, sometimes old people just can't bite their tongue ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:58 am »
I get the feeling that someone read a passage in a book and assumed dry sinew was being used.  No original I have ever seen with sinew backing looked that bad.  But kudos to them for doing it, here's hoping they continue the journey.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 12:19:52 am »
John; I started to get skeptical when I saw the Popsicle stixs and he didn't seem like he wanted to get his fingers sticky.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 01:56:26 am »
Hey hey cmon guys.  It's his first upload.  We all make mistakes and learned stuff.  I didn't post pics of mine but still.  He's trying and learning.  I don't know how many bows this guy has made.  I applaud the effort and accept that he'll probably make better ones  as he learns.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:01 am »
Hey Guys. If you guys saw the original video, Homer didnt soak the sinew and did it the exact same way. The bow held its reflex so it did its job. Robert is my close friend, i wish I had been there to direct him on straightening the sinew, but honestly the original video was done the same way with a stick and without soaking the sinew in water prior to applying. I got to see the finished bow and even shoot it, it shot quite well. I wonder if soaking in water would have added any performance. I did enjoy the video, I think it was well executed, maybe he shouldve included some footage of the original where the guy is sinew backing it.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 03:14:42 am »
Prarie,  Please except my apology if I offended you or your friend.  There is always a risk when we are endevering to show something we have learned and in todays world of internet, many things get posted that are first time experiments or first time projects.  If it is, his first, I would be the eager to congratulate and also offer helpfull suggestions.
  However this seemed as a tutorial of 'How to sinew a bow' and in the "Bowyers world" this method lacks much knowledge of sinew and the best methods of applying it. I have sinewed allot of bows and still have much to learn, Yet I am also open to learn new techniques as well. In fact a recent technique by James Parker is sounding very promissing and I am excited to hear more about it.  Because this is coming from a man with years of horn bow sinewing with proven results.
 Several people stated that it was a "great" video and therefore I expected a "great" demonstration of skills and technique. However I did feel a responsibility that new bowyers should know there are better methods then what was presented as a "How to"  Video.  We do Carry a responsibility in promoting bowyers skills by honesty and truth. Therefore I felt compelled to offer some hopefully,constructive criticism.
 I saw the original video of Homer and felt the same way about the method back then. When I realized others are being taught this method as "The way it's supposed to be done" I had to say something.
 Legionnaire, The video quality and execution were great. Pleasing and insiring individual. Great tutorial on the fish bladder glue. Just can't support the sinew method as "Great" 
 We are all here, to learn from one another. And I know that I learn more when people give honest and correct critique to what I do. I hope you can understand my intent.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:54 am »
I don't know the guy.  I'm just saying. . . :laugh:  god know my first somethings are coming soon.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 06:13:54 am »
I am shure glad you put it upset is made for a good learning session, and the way it was put together (video )I would like to see more in the future  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:53 am »
Yea I wasn't so concerned with the quality of the sinew job as the overall process and the size of the bow. 

ditto-tho ive only sinewed one bow, i was thinking along keenans lines about that.'
but the bow, thats what i was digging
wild women don't get the blues

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »
I don't think anybody need's to apologize or get buthurt about anything, it was a cool video and Keenan was right about the sinew job and thinking a newbie might think that is how to sinew a bow, but at least he got a shooter out of it, I don't think anyone was attacking the guy, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:52 pm »
no attacking here...maybe the next time i or some one else does sinew backing we could do a video.....i will say the video part was great...he could a in depth video on the whole fish glue prosses....that would be cool and very few people know how to do it....john fish

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 02:11:46 am »
Great video. Could inspire someone who happens across it.

As someone who is about to attempt his first sinew job, I immediately said to my wife, "that is not how I am going to do it", when I watched him lay the dry, curly sinew in the glue.  I think most who are attempting their first sinew job are going to do a little bit of research and draw from multiple sources, especially when sinew seems hard to come by for most who are just getting started. 

All that stuff aside:  Does anyone know where to find that original Yurok bow video that is referenced throughout this video?  I watched it several times on youtube when I first discovered it just a couple of weeks ago, and now it says the video is private...?  Anyone know who originally posted it? I would really like to get a copy of this video or at least be able to access it on youtube again. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 03:00:29 am »
...maybe the next time i or some one else does sinew backing we could do a video.....i will say the video part was great...he could a in depth video on the whole fish glue prosses....that would be cool and very few people know how to do it....john fish

I don't know, I just sinew'd a bow and there's no way I could have touched a camera through it.  I was sticking to absolutely everything before I was done.  You'd about have to have a cameraman to pull it off.  There's a great example of sinewing a bow on youtube,  search for korean horn bow.  There's a 3 part video , the title is "Archery Korean Bow Making", the sinewing is in part 2 at 4:50.  The pile of sinew they have prepared and the length of it is amazing.  I watched it again before I did this bow, but I didn't take the time to comb out the wet sinew the way he did.  It's going to be under snakeskin.

I watched the video and enjoyed it a lot. 

George
St Paul, TX