Author Topic: Northwest prim bowmaking.  (Read 12526 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Northwest prim bowmaking.
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:26:55 am »
Stumbled on this new upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7E7zekzjOk

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Northwest prim bowmaking.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:34:40 am »
Maybee that is my solution for a kayak bow. ?  ?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:58:44 am »
Thats a nice bow.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:02 am »
Nice bow and cool video, however it seams unsafe to be slinging arrows @35meters with people down range  ???
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:36:15 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:58:09 am »
That looks like a great turkey bow.  I could stalk easy with that bow.  I think I am going to have to make one how do you make the backing water proof.  In the spring there is a lot of water in the form of dew and light rain in this area during spring turkey season.  I was real surprised that he was shooting that bow with people walking in front of him. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:08:52 am »
That's a great video....

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:50:08 am »
Excellent video.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:08 am »
great vid(tho i agree with the shooting with so many people so close by...)

have to say every time i see the footage of this fella shooting, or pix of ishi shooting, i am intrigued with their style.
have not tried holding and shooting a bow like that. but think i might take the little sinewed bow out today and give er a try.

sure wish i could get my hands on a piece of yew like that
thanks!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:40:57 am by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »
 Wow, I have to respectfully disagree about the video. Though it has some good info about the overall process, That is the worst sinew job I have ever seen.  If you don't soak the sinew fibers and straighten them, they are just about useless, as far as the benefits that sinew can offer.  I would never recommend this video as an example of how to sinew a bow. Please understand I am not trying to discredit anyone here. I just can't  support this as a good method of sinewing a bow.
 However it is a good video about fish bladder glue. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:23:50 pm by Keenan »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »
I have to agree with Keenan. That was good info on fish bladder glue, but a waste of sinew. Not only did he not soak the sinew, he didn't lay it down flat and smooth so the sinew isn't giving 100%. For those asking about waterproof, look at the end of the video. See how rough the sinew surface was. It will catch and hold a lot of moisture that way. If it was combed and laid flat it would be much better. A snakeskin over the top would provide a lot of water protection for it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:06:05 pm »
me too, that is some of the sloppiest sinewing I've seen. I've never seen anyone put sinew on dry.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:07:06 pm »
Thanks for the info justin
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:17:57 pm »
 It has accured to me that if I am going to critique something that I should offer some alternate info as well.  I am certainly not the best at sinewing a bow and I saw one recently that was a fantastic sinew job. However I am having a hard time remembering who's it was. So here are a few pics from some of the ones that I have done. Hopefully it will help show what we are talking about. 
 For sinew to be "At it's best" It should be soaked until limp. This allows it to stretch. When dry, it is shrunk up and will not shrink further unless re-soaked. So if the sinew is applied while dry it will not shrink and pull a bow into reflex.  The reflex is only caused by the bow being braced at reflex.  Also for optimal performance the strands need to be laying as straight as possible. That way, when it is under tension, the force is being applied to the sinew. It is extremely hard to get sinew to lay straight and flat unless it is soaked and pliable. Similar to trying to comb your hair dry vs. when wet.  I generally soak the sinew in the glue until it becomes very limp like wet hair. Then I will flatten and squeeze out the excess glue. I do this several times before laying as straight as possible on the bow. I hope this helps and please understand I am just trying to show a way that I feel will help those learning to sinew.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »
Yea I wasn't so concerned with the quality of the sinew job as the overall process and the size of the bow. 

Question.  Would artificial sinew, dewaxed, laid out with TB3 work well?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:14 pm »
 For the amount of work that is required to dewax artificial sinew and given that it will not shrink like real sinew and is not nearly as strong, I would concider it a waste of energy and time.  It would be easier to just back with linen and have the same effect. Most people that go to the effort to sinew a bow, do so to get the real strength benefit as well as protection of the back.