Author Topic: New Scope for my 22  (Read 3428 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

New Scope for my 22
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »
I have a 20 year old ( Marlin 60 ) 22 at home.
It has a old (maybe 50 years) scope on it.
Never had a speck of trouble with it...... Until Saturday.
Went to check and see if it was still sighted in and the scope is Out of Focus.
Everthing looks all fuzzy through it????   Thought it might be my new glasses.
Well, Everthing looks good through all my other scopes.

Looking around I found several new 22 scopes can be picked up for $25.00 to $40.00.

Are scopes this inexpensive worth the money????

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline adb

Re: New Scope for my 22
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:23 pm »
When it comes to optics, you definately get what you pay for. My Ruger 77/22 has a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40. The gun has to be accurate enough to justify top shelf glass, but if it is, buy the most expensive optics you can afford. $25 - $40 scopes are junk. Good optics are never a bad investment.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »
i have a cheap $30 scope on my old marlin 22- it works fine. probably not very durable, but i just use it for practice on the range. unless you're feeding yourself with that 22, I say go cheap- if you don't like it, you can upgrade
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:05:02 pm »
I'm with ADB on top shelf glass, I just put a 180.00 dollar Nikon scope on my old bolt action Remington .22 I can light a strike anywhere match at a fair distance with it. That's my squirrel gun.
Now having said that I have also used cheap scopes and they work OK just not as durable. One final thought I know that there are far more expensive scopes than Nikon but I don't think you'll beat it for dollars spent. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 02:21:07 pm »
Personally,I wouldn't go any cheaper than a New Nikon Prostaff rimfire which is about $100.Also take a look at a Weaver 2-7 and Sightron S1.

Years ago some inexpensive scopes were made in Japan and were good quality.Nowdays cheap scopes are mostly made in China and quality has suffered.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »
Get a centerpoint scope in the $50 dollar range... they have clear picture, mil-dots, and are cheap as well as durable... I have them ounted on both my air rifle and .22 and they work great. I would definitly recommend them as value scopes.

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:45:30 pm »
David, I have a Bushnell Sportsview fixed 4x32 scope with see through mounts if you want it. Its been laying around in my basement since I upgraded to a 3x9veriable for my .308. Let me know and send me your address if you want it.
  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:14:07 pm »
Pat:
Thanks for the offer buddy but I am going to have to turn you down.
I cant see well enough (anymore) to shoot squirrel heads with a 4 power scope.
Will have to have to have something that has a top magnification of at least 9.
So I am looking at a 3X9X30 or even a 3x12x40.  Don't know if I can get a 40MM front glass on my 22 but plan to find out.

On my way by Academy Sports with a list of scopes to look at.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:11 pm »
Dave, I have a 3x9x40 Bushnell on my Hushavarna 22, $100 and works great.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kpete

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:36 pm »
I have the Nikon Prostaff that RHClark mentioned.  I have it on a .17 mach II.  I have enjoyed it over the past three years.  Light gathering capabilities might help you with those squirrels.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:56:51 pm »
Ill  say Im  with  617   !   You  really  need to  take  a  real  hard  look  at  the  centerpoint!!   This  company  has  somthing to  do  with  crossman  arms  a  local  company  here!   I see  them  every where  around here!  I bought one for my nephew he  loves it  I have  one  for  my  rossi .243 that  I  havent  mounted yet  I  like them good luck  jeffw

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:01:26 am »
RidgeRunner,
I've got an old Marlin 60 (with the 17 shot mag) and I put a CenterPoint 4-16x40 on it. It just clears the barrel but you have to remove the rear sight. Also the front cap doesn't quite have enough clearance to fit without a little razor trimming.

Having been a professional photographer for decades I expect to pay hundreds of dollars or more for good glass. For the money these cost they are surprisingly good. Especially for a .22. Who knows how they'd handle more recoil?

The illuminated mil dots are a neat bell/whistle. they're not very evenly illuminated but this is a $70 scope.

I do silhouette shooting with it and it's ok.  The only real problem and this could be a big one, depending on the conditions you shoot in, is there is a lot of flare (non image forming light sort of like glare) when the scope is maxed out to 16x and you have very bright lights in your sights. e.g sparkling water, low sun, bright reflections. Then you get a bit of double vision on the highlights.

At other powers and in normal light conditions it doesn't display these problems.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:00:54 am »
Well, I picked up a new scope lastnight.  Set of mounts as well.
Got a $70.00 Tasco 3x9x40. (Yea, I know made in China)

Looked through every scope they had.  The $200.00 models were the clearest.  No dought about that.  The $25.00 to $40.00 models all had a yellow haze to them.  They were also a bit fuzzy.

Had the guy behind the counter take a new Marlin 60 out of the rack.  We put this new scope on it to make sure the 40MM front glass would fit.  It fit but had almost no room to spare.

After I got it on the rifle my wife looked at it and stated "If you cant hit a squirrel with that I am going to laugh at you."  She will to.  OK, I admit It does look a bit oversized on that little gun.

If there is any daylight left when I get home the sight in process will start. ;D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:05 am »
I took two of those Tasco's back when I bought them. I couldn't get either one of them to quit shooting 2" left. Another buddy had the same problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 12:12:27 pm »
I've never had any luck with cheap Tasco junk either, and that's why all my rifles wear Leupold glass.  ;)