Author Topic: Hickory Backing Prices  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Stonedog

Hickory Backing Prices
« on: July 23, 2007, 03:38:31 pm »
All-

How has the best pricing on hickory backings?
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

jamie

Re: Hickory Backing Prices
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:56:32 pm »
i make my own even though i usually give em away. lol . from what ive seen they are all about the same.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:12 pm »
You will spend as much to buy a hickory backing strip and have it shipped as you would to buy an appropriate board and cut the strips your self. If you don't have access to tools to cut your own you can have someone cut it for a small fee. I usually cut them 3/16" thick x 6' and after sanding smooth they usually come out about 1/8" thick. What I bought was a 5/4 x 6"x10' hickory board with a good bias grain. Cut strips from the 2" side.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:48 pm »
I recently bought a quantity of 100 hiclory backings, mixed wit a few maple, for $7.00 each. I would like to get price dowwn a bit. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:14:36 am »
Steve, The board I bought was 5/4 x 6" x10'. I cut it into a 6' and a 4' pieces.  I think I paid $30 for it after picking through the stack. I used a table saw to cut the backing strips but with a band saw you could get 1/3 more backings from the same amount of wood. The 4' pieces will be spliced at the handle.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC