Author Topic: Arrow rest question  (Read 10629 times)

Offline bluegill

Arrow rest question
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:41:40 pm »
I'm in the tillering stage on my second attempt at completing a red oak board bow(first one broke while tillering). The bow has a 4" untouched handle section. I have not glued any extra layers of wood to the handle because I plan on wrapping the handle with leather. My question is what should be used as an arrow rest? I cant cut into the handle without fear of breaking it. Is it best to just shoot off my hand where it grips the bow or is there a way to make a low profile arrow rest?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Arrow rest question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:50:40 pm »
Don't cut a shelf into the bow, you can glue a couple of peaces of leather from a belt, than shape them.

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:27:33 pm »

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:55:42 pm »
Hope I can ask this question so someone can answer it!!

I usually cut a shelf to get as close to center shot as I can. If I don't cut a shelf is there a rule of thumb as to how wide the handle should be so as to not have to cut the shelf??

Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:48:58 pm »
There is no rule of thumb as to how wide your handle has to be. Mine are around7/8 to 1" for a stiff handled bow. On a bendy handle bow ,the center will be about the widest part of the bow. So basically your arrow needs to be spined correctly to paradox around the bow handle, a bow that is close to center shot will need a stiffer spine and farther away from center shot you need a weaker spined arrow.
 To answer bluegills ?, I don't really see the need for a shelf only if don't have a consistent grip. I used to build up shelves with super glue and leather then shape, floppy rest also works really well also. Experiment a little and find out what you like. Good luck!
Justin Blunt

tradrick

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:49:10 pm »
I asked this question not long ago and the good folks on here recommended the floppy arra rest on the Ferrits website.Very simple to make and I really like it.Low profile,keeps the arrow close to the hand.Shooting off it is just like pointing your finger.A very good recommendation.tradrick

jamie

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:59 am »
i dont use shelves on most of my bows unless its to be given to some one who wants it. i also find that if you shoot natural shafts  like shoots or split shafts with a heavy taper they shoot much better with the wide grip. because of the taper they have more forward weight.  if someone tells ya they are tearin their hand up with out a shalf their bow isnt tuned properly or the fletching has been done poorly. i shoot off the hand a lot with arras that have no wrapping on the feathers and dont get cut up. peace

a finnish native

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 11:37:06 am »
shoot of your hand. No primitive bows have been found that would have had an arrow rest. first it may hurt, but your hand will get harder with time. I have a few scars from fletches, but so what? what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

jamie

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:54:57 pm »
dude im living proof that what doesnt kill ya makes ya stronger but telling somebody to take the pain of fletchings tearing up their hand aint the brightest thing ive heard. again if the fletchings are cutting you tune your bow better or do a better job fletching. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:12 pm »
   The only reason I shoot off a shelf now is because of the scar tissue on my hand.It came from an arrow coming apart and about 4" of wood and fletching going in like a bomb.When I do shoot off my hand I wear a military leather glove on that hand.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 11:00:30 pm »
A built up shelf of leather or wood or horn or bone or just about any material like Manny has there will work fine, but dont let any one tell you you can cut in a arrow shelf on a selfbow I do it all the time, it just has to be done right......The only bow that you cant cut a shelf into is one that works through the handle. ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 01:33:28 am »
I have found "Ferret's Floppy Rest" to be the best of both worlds. You get to shoot off your hand and have a "rest" to protect your hand. If your arrows are spined for your bow, you will get excellent arrow flight.  If you are shooting off your hand you would be wise to wrap the forward end of your fletching to allow the arrow to pass over your hand without the chance of the quill catching your skin.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 09:42:34 am »
bluegill, I almost never cut a handle into a bow. I use pieces of leather for a shelf. I am assuming you did not add a glued on piece for a handle. I almost never do that either on a board bow preferring to let the handle bend. If the handle  bends you should not cut in a shelf. The stave may snap on  you. See Making a Leather Handle for Your Bow on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 01:24:15 pm »
I usually do mine like Manny but I am with Ryan if it don't bend in the handle it will be fine.Just don't cut it so deep  to weaken the handle so the limbs take over and let it bend there.I have
cut shelfs in several of the snaky bows that went the wrong way to get them more center shot.
I don't worry to much about that unless it is way out,I just cant the bow a little more and make sure the arrows are spined right. :)I also make sure my feathers are smooth on the leading edge no matter witch way I do it,Hand,rest or shelf. ;D and I don't shoot anyone else's arrows until I check them,feather in the had hurts. :'(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 06:45:23 pm »
no matter how well you do your fletching it starts to break in a certain time. even if tron up, the pain caused is not bad at all. usually i notice the wound after seeing blood on the arrow.
if it hurts use a glove.