Author Topic: Osage Footed Arrow  (Read 4855 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Osage Footed Arrow
« on: November 26, 2011, 06:20:05 pm »
I traded Crooketarrow for some primitive shafts.  I had one all done and then tried to do a little straightening at the point and and broke off about 6".  I left it sitting on the bench for a couple months and then one Saturday I spotted a 10" length of osage that looked perfect to make a foreshaft out of.  So, I ripped it into a 3/8" square and planed and sanded it round.  Then, I cut and sanded it to a point, cut a slot in the arrow shaft, fitted it in and glued it.  The taper looked very long when I cut it, however when I got done gluing it up and sanding it back to round the joint is only 2-3" long.  Most footed arrows I've seen have a longer glue jount than that.  Hope this one is OK.  It is my first attempt at footing.  I was pretty sure the arrow would have plenty of weight in the front with the osage, so today I chose one of my <100gr points I got when I broke an ear off when knapping and hafted it up.  I believe it's a coral point from Eddie's rock.  The completed arrow weighs 815gr.  I'm hoping to shoot it through a pig this spring.

George

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 06:32:24 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Osage Footed Arrow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:25:09 pm »
I'll take a dozen, please!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:37:36 pm »
Looks real good George, can't wait to see it RED >:D and when you get done with J W's dozen ill take the same ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »
At the rate I build arrows Johns'll be done in late 2012 and yours in time for the 2013 season... ::)  Sure wish I was faster at it.  That's probly why I shoot POC most of the time.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:40:54 pm »
Nice save George. That is exactly what footings were intended for to begin with, repairing broken arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 06:46:23 pm »
I can see why Pat.  After all that effort to straighten the dang thing and cut the nock I sure as heck wasn't gonna throw it away.  If I break one of my POC's hunting I'm gonna foot it too.  Too much time invested, especially around the nock and feathers.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:19 pm »
 Very nice and looks really primitive. What kind of glue did you use and are you planning to reinforce the joint with sinew?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »
Thanks, but my glue was anything but primitive.  I used Smooth-on epoxy.  I hadn't decided whether to wrap the joint with sinew, open to suggestions.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:42 pm »
Nice going George.  I haven't tried that yet, but hope it looks 3/4 that good when I do.  I've kept a lot of broken POC in the past, just because I can't stand just tossing them.  That's a great idea.  You think I can foot a POC w/ a POC shaft?  Thanks for the pics. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:23:45 am »
Not sure I'm qualified to answer your question, since this one is my first.  However, every footed arrow I've ever seen used hardwood.  That's one of the reasons I used osage, the other being that i have tons of it.  :)  I might go with mesquite the next time though, I have quite a bit of that as well and I think it'd be striking as a footing.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 05:00:27 pm »
Gimme a dozen of those too, Georgie!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:54 pm »
That looks killer George. I bet you could "toast" it some for added pizzaz?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 02:30:37 am »

Nice job!  Snork, grunt, snurrgg, oongt, ung, ung, snork, snoggle, grunt, ......Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy!  I have cookies  ;D  ........ Just below this pretty little stick...... >:D ..... Ooooh look...... doughnuts! >:D >:D
Get that stand ready!  That should do the job!

Wayne

Offline Scowler

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:11:53 am »
Nice looking arrow.  At 815 grains it should do quite well on pigs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 02:12:45 pm »
  I see you found out the old saying. It's takes longer to build a arrow that a bow. Exspecially if you foot them. Igoing to have to start saveing those broken ones and send them to you. Looks good, that dog woods almost a tuff as that osage. They take a while to straighten but stay there. I have dog wood shafts that I carryed for 2 years and never had to touch them.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING