Author Topic: Arrow Wood ?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Arrow Wood ?
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:34:20 am »
 I'm ready to begin on a dozen arrows for hunting and target shooting. I would like to know EVERYONE'S OPINION on the best arrow wood. I was leaning towards sitka spruce. I will be using chert points, sinew, feathers and self nocks. What's my best choice here. Would like to end up between 500 to 550 gn. total. Any comments would be appreciated.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow Wood ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:48:41 am »
Sitka spruce makes very good arrows as does most of the store bought shafting. If you have access to cane or hardwood shoots you can make great "primitive" arrows. If you've never made arrows from scratch, the sitka spruce should work fine for you.
  When cutting self nocks into doweled shafting be sure to cut the nock across the end grain and wrap just below the nock to keep the shaft from splitting.  Also put the stiffest side of the shaft against the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:30:50 am »
I've made plenty with cedar but heard sitka was tougher with the same qualities. To me that's a plus! Is sitka a better shafting in your opinion? Is sitka better than cedar? Most of the cedar I'm receiving is twisted, some grain MORE THAN 45 degrees! And have had this problem from multiple suppliers. When setting in self nocks this is a big problem because once you line up the grain for spine sometimes it twists parallel to the sring, "self nock". I heard that sitka usually has straighter grain also! when I recieve a badly twisted shaft or 2 or 3 in a doz. it makes me wonder because someone spined it and looked at it and made the decision to sell it! Maybe I'm getting a few culls and their saving the goodies for the premium premaid arrows they sell?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:43:29 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:30 am »
Sitka is a bit heavier and probably a bit stronger than POC.  If you are buying shafting with that bad of grain I would complain to the supplier.   I started making my own shafting from cane and hardwood shoots because I didn't trust the store bought shafting. I have made good arrows with POC, self nocks and tied on stone points but they just aren't as strong as my cane or hardwood shoots are. You can split out or saw out blanks for shafting and hand plane out the shafts yourself. Find a good board of spruce , fir, poplar or pine cut it into 3/8"x3/8" square stock and plane off the 4 corners...then the 8 corners then sand it smooth and sand it to adjust spine. These can be as good or better than any you can buy.
  Another option is to go to a hardware or lumber store and hand pic and buy wood dowels. They make excellent arrows if you are choosy about what you start with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:35:34 pm »
If you bare shaft tune the arrows they fly great. Pat were you the one that explain this technique to me this summer?  Each arrow is tuned to the bow and it works great.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:47:25 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 04:06:07 pm »
I never bareshaft test arrows. I make up an arrow and shoot it. If it shoots poorly I make fluflus with it.   ;)     I rarely even spine test my homemade arrows except to find the stiff side.
  I do make my arrows long, 29" to 30" for my 26" draw. If it seems a bit flimsy I will cut it down to stiffen it a bit. It will increase the spine by 5# for each inch I cut off.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:28:42 pm »
The arrow I killed my first and only deer with was made from red oak split from a log and then I shaved it down till they shot real good. But my POC snap back and don't neeed as much attention all the time. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »
I've nver tried POC but I prety much only use the cane or bamboo arrows.  They last realy well and if made well fly great!  Pluss they are dirt cheap (minus all the fidgiting time for construction).

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:37:16 pm »
The best arrow wood, IMO, is birch.  I use it whenever I can.  My second choice is shoots that I harvest myself here in TX:  Yaupon holly, privet, poverty weed, sage, and phagmites reed, in that order.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29:26 pm »
Bamboo or cane, but they are plants rather. Still the best you can get in my thin book!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »

I have access to allot of river cane patches but wouldn't know where to start. They look like a heep of work and time. What diameter to cut while green? Also I would need a spine tester. I'm serious about close to exact spine and near perfect arrow flight. Wouldn't want to invest all the time to find out my spine was 25# or 105#. If I knew a good diameter I could try and cut some. How long does it take them to dry? Have a doz. or more points that are between 150 -175. Thats what the Indians used here is what I was told. Whats the average weight on a shaft of cain around 26" minus the footing? Man I have so many questions about that subject been going around in my head I could keep going and going and going....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:17:22 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:31 pm »
River cane is killer stuff from what I have read here. Many guys will tell you its the best. I know you are an impatient guy and want to tear it up, Im the same way. I would suggest checking in on the "arrows" forum as much as you can daily. Read up on all the cool stuff these people post about cane arrows, soak it all in. After enough reading you will be whipping out cane shafts by the dozen Im sure. They are labor intensive Im willing to bet, but anything worth it always is! PRIMITIVE archer says it all man! As far as arrow flight. We all want perfectly tuned shafts. If a particular material is chosen to make shafts out of it is usually because of diameter, strength, longevity or personal preference. Great arrow flight is a given, or the material wouldnt even be on the "list". You can use the "search" feature up top as well. Just type in rivercane and you will busy for hours. You got a 6 month wait til that bow stave is ready anyhow Don!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:22:53 pm »
 River cane or bamboo for me too. The most durable shaft material out there as far as I'm concerned.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 01:24:23 am »
I use some old POC that I inherited.  They break @ the point when using a tappered point.  I started putting those soft grips from pens on them...I saw somwthing similar for sale @3R.  I like POC, but I also use multi-floral rose.  Tough, but light.  Looks like canes the stuff to use and the oration of Pearl Drum should be read again. Way to put it out there it PD!!

good luck on your dz., dpgratz

oh yea, if I'm not mistaken, using a 3/8" open end wrench for a guide will give you about the standard diameter for arrow shafts. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 01:31:09 am »
And one more thing.

If you have an arrow that flys good from your bow, you can nail two nails into a wall or whatever, 26 inches apart, put your arrow on them horizontally and hang a weight from the center, 2 pounds is standard, but anything close to that will work, then mark the deflection on the wall.  In theory any shafts that have the same deflection should shoot good from that same bow.  Check all sides of the shaft and make sure you put the stiffest side towards the bow riser.  This is hillbilly, but works.  Relax and enjoy.   ;D dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)