Author Topic: Well, guess I'm hooked  (Read 2625 times)

Offline chasing crow

Well, guess I'm hooked
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:47:12 pm »
Been out several times with my newly finished oak selfbow. Have only seen a couple deer (none in shooting range) in over a month. I have let fly at several squirrels with no hits. I finally took the flint smoothbore off the wall and headed to the woods. Came home with 3 squirrels and ate well!
I hung that trusty gun on the wall and told my wife that It just doesn't feel right to be out there without stick and string!! I may not be able to put meat on the table yet, but I am committed to practice more and stick with it. I just love heading into the woods with my self made primitive equipment.........I HAVE THE SICKNESS!   
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Well, guess I'm hooked
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:07:15 pm »
Wait till you make your first primitive bow kill.....Then you will really get hooked/sick.....Good luck and shoot straight.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:55:09 am »
I hunted all last year without taking a deer it was the time of my life and loved every minute of it.  I finally killed my first deer this year and I am working on deer number 2.  After the first deer you calm down a lot and really have fun because you dont have a monkey on your back. Good luck and don't 2 guess your aim or you will miss a lot. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:31:23 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:51:51 am »
Welcome to the madness  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:29:31 am »
  It is a sicknest I've hunted 51 times seen 31 bucks,13 shooters. Missed a mid 120's 8 point,miss 2 yote that were together and hit one last. He was trotting perty hard and I hit him in the hind quarters. Must have it the bone he started spinning broke my arrow off. Major blood trail but he went into a sanurey I have set up that I NEVER enter. Unless I'm tracking a buck.
  One sure way of keeping mature bucks in your area is have a place where they can go and be totally safe. And leave it alone.
  SICKNEST WITH NO CURE
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »
I'm gonna tell you what my ex-father-in-law told me, bless his heart. 

"I'da warned you, but you wouldn't have listened."

Sorry pal, at least you got our shoulders to cry on.  Welcome to the Archer's Short Bus!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stephen Zachary

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:47:50 am »
I agree with what everyone has said . Ive been shooting 3 d for several years and never killed anything with my bow but love going into the woods. Hoping for first bow kill this year no matter what it is.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »
 Looking for my first with selfbow. :) Had a real nice 8 pt. come by me at approx. 18-20 yards. Had to pass on him, because my accuracey limit is 17 yds. or closer. :-\ Just felt like it was a bit too far. I shoot 40#-45# selfbows. Thats why i won't shoot very far. The way i look at it, if God wants me to get a deer with my selfbows, i will get my deer when he is ready for me to get my first. If he is not ready for me to take one of his animals, i'm not going to get it. ;) I agree, theres nothing like carrying a selfbow in the timber. I find myself stump shooting back to where i hunt, and even coming back to the truck, after a morning hunt. I say that you are definately hooked. Go out and enjoy it.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 05:00:49 pm »
I am in the same boat you are, first year, no deer. I know if I had a compund I would have had to ge a new freezer by now, but where is the fun in that.  ;)

Stick to it and remememeber not to get caught up in reasults those come with time, learn now, eat later.   8)

here is my story where I came face to face with a mosnter 8 point, but unfortunately I hadn't learned that you can be to close to a deer and, well, you can read the whole story yourself here (btw I am Woodland Archer on Paleoplanet)

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/414305/How-do-you-draw-on-a-deer#reply-414305

These guys gave me some great advice remember 2 things for now, there is no such thing as a perfect shot, and once you realize you have somthing to learn, you will learn way more.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:48:40 pm »
Hahaha.. We have caught another one... Hehehehe >:D >:D >:D >:D Glad your out there having fun...

JOn