Author Topic: 911-HOW'S-MY-TILLER?  (Read 5677 times)

Offline HighEagle

911-HOW'S-MY-TILLER?
« on: November 24, 2011, 04:58:15 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving All,
 Heres something to digest on or think about during the football game.

66" T2T Yew , Top Limb Rt
1 5/8" wide till mid-limb
2" fades
45#@21"

Bottom feels a little stiffer 1/4" Diff. Was looking for 55#@27" give or take, This is the time I get myself in trouble by going to fast.. Thanks for looking Have a great day. Your Friend, Chuck

Armstrong, BC

Offline gstoneberg

Re: 911-HOW'S-MY-TILLER?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:21 pm »
Looks very good to me, and I agree - the left limb is slightly stiffer.   I tiller that way on purpose so I think it's fine. I'm surprised you're listing the specs at 45# and not 55# though.  Are you pulling all the way to 55# as you're tillering?  If not you'll have trouble making draw weight.  I'd pull it until you see a tillering problem, reach 55#, or reach your draw length, whichever comes first.  Hopefully one of the yew guys will correct me if I'm all wet.  I do osage nearly all the time.   Nice bow, it's gonna be a shooter.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:05:17 pm »
Your poundage will increase allot after you brace it fully. I would give that lower limb 8-10 full lenght scrapes, exercise it and brace it fully. See where you sit then.  Nice lines so far Chuck.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »

Hi All,
 Here it is after I took all my suggestions Thanks PD and George. 5 1/4"brace, 56.5#@27" has some hand shock.. Seems like most of my bows have a bit  of hand shock is this normal for selfbows? Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.  Thanks again for looking, Chuck

Armstrong, BC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »
I have found very little difference between the indicated weight at a certain drawlength with a long string / low brace and full brace height. Maybe a couple of lbs but very little difference. If a bow is say 50 @ 27 with a low brace it won't be much different with a high brace.
The reason for the handshock (IMO!) is you need a little more bend in the outer limbs or if you looks at it the other way a little less bend in the inner limbs. As your bow doesn't start to taper in width until mid-limb you should have a fairly mild elliptical tiller. Your bow's limbs will be tapering in thickness all the way along therefore the as the wood becomes thinner it can/should be bending further. Extreme example - compare the bend that a 4x4 and a paper thin shaving can accept....the 4x4 won't bend very fall at all before it breaks whereas the shaving can bend in a full circle with no damage. This principle has changed by bow making forever and handshock has dissappeared. Before I really got this some bows would shoot well but some would be shocky and I could never really get my head around why. It's all in the bowyers bibles and is explained better than I can manage! Without those books i'd still be struggling - many thanks to the free thinking authors. :)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
 Looking very good so far.  You will probably gain around 3.5 lbs per inch of draw. so if 45 at 21 you are probably close to 65/66 at 27 right now.  You can do your own F/D chart and see what you are gaining on average and that will give a better projection. You'll see a little increase per inch towards the last couple inches because of string angle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »
Chuck the upper looks a bit stiff in the middle, that will make her jump some. Some hand shock may be from thick tips, extra weight? Just something to look at pal. Not bad looking otherwise.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:55:05 pm »
I think  it's looking good. Keep on going. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
Looking good to  me  too Chuck.  Wish I had your eye PD. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:28:57 am »
Looking good to  me  too Chuck.  Wish I had your eye PD. 

George

No you don't buddy! I just get lucky 1 out of 10 GUESSES. This one happens to be easy to see at brace and full draw, for me anywho.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:57:44 pm »
Suscinct version - get the outer limbs bending some more and the upper is stiff overall. ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »
Looks pretty good to me, much better than my usual tiller in fact.  That being said, could use a few scrapes mid-limb on the right and toward the tips on both limbs.  The bends need to be left alone so your flipped tips don't pull out, but you can get it bending more close to the bend.  Without seeing the front profile it is mostly guess work though.  Once again looks pretty good to me,   Josh

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:17 pm »
I agree with the upper limb looking a tiny bit stiff in the middle. Do you have a tillering gizmo? I takes a LOT of the guessing out of the game.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »
Took a little time off from bow building,  Kind of sucks all my pix were deleted they didnt seem any bigger then anybody else so will only add a few new ones and my last one at 27" all comments said to work upper limb (right side) looks stiff, At that point it had lots of hand-shock enough to kill my wrist, its much better now. 55# @27,  57.7# @ 28" Thanks for looking and all your help. Chuck   It kind of looks the same??...

56.5 @ 27" with stiff upper limb

55# @ 27" After

Full-draw at 27"

Plan-View 66"ttt  2" fades 1" 5/8 wide 1/2" tips
Armstrong, BC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:53:53 pm »
The bow drawn in hand looks much nicer than on your tree.  Sweet bow!