Author Topic: war arrow build  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Peter-t123

war arrow build
« on: November 24, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
Hi, i'm building a set of the ewbs 'standard arrow' and thought it might be interesting to put up pictures as i'm doing it. hopefully people will offer advice and perhaps other newbies like myself would be interested in seeing someone building their first set. i've built target arrows before but this is my first set of proper war arrows.

The shafts i'm using are 3/8 of an inch ash from nidderdale archery  the man i spoke to on the phone was extremely helpful and after looking over the shafts they are all very straight so i wouldnt hesitate to recommend them.

the first thing i did was mark them up for the nock inserts. a tip i read elsewhere was to make sure if there is any 'feathering' in the grain of the shaft that you should have it so the feathering points towards the nock end for strength reasons. after orienting the shaft, make a small mark 2" down from the nock end with a ruler and pencil:

then take the mark round the shaft. i find that if you hold a square against the bottom of the mark then rest your pencil on it then carefully spin the shaft round, it will give you a very nice and accurate mark:

finally, using your ruler and pencil again carefully mark a line across the center of the nock end of the shaft (if you didnt know already, as the nock on self nocked arrow always goes 90 degrees to the grain, and the horn insert always goes crosswise across the nock, this mark should be exactly in line with the grain) then, resting your square flat on the end of the shaft, you can easily connect the ends of the line you have just made with the mark you made earlier. i imagine this is a bit of a long-winded way of doing it, but i hope that by marking everything very carefully i will save myself problems later on.

Peter

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:56:36 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Peter-t123

Re: war arrow build
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:18:01 pm »
okay, im currently just putting all the pictures in order and deciding exactly how to do it, for now here is a picture of a finished one:

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:19:46 pm »
beautiful, cant wait to see the rest, i just got through making a set
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:02:39 am »
cheers :) these still don't have points, i need to order them in the next few days but i'm unsure what to do, i really wanted to do them with proper hand forged bodkins but i don't have near enough money saved up atm... i suppose i could either just put heads on a few and wait until i get some more money in a month or so and finish the set off, or stoop to machined bodkins... do you have any pics of the ones youve made? :)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:01:01 am »
ill take a few tommorow, mine i dont think are hand forged, but with my forging skills improving, that is quickly changing ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 04:58:54 am »
Be careful with grain run-offs on shafts. If there is a run-off the board it was cut from wasn't straight grained...and therefore isn't as strong as it could be.
Where are you getting the bodkins from?
If you leave the shaft a little long and use epoxy to stick your 'normal' heads on when you get the bodkins you will have enough length to grind a new taper and the the epoxy will 'let go' easily with a bit of heat.

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:21:53 am »
hi, cheers for the tip on the grain and on the heads, i hadnt thought of doing that but i think thats what im going to do. i havent completely decided on where to get them from yet but if/when i end up getting the hand forged ones i was going to go with hector cole... any other recommendations?  Peter

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:10 am »
Its nice to have one or two forged heads for distance shooting but for general shooting its best to go with a cheap machine made head.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:32 am »
fair enough, ill do that then.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:14:31 pm »
Its nice to have one or two forged heads for distance shooting but for general shooting its best to go with a cheap machine made head.
Hey, Ian... do you have a source? I was getting some 1/2" forged heads from Steve at DIY Archery, but he doesn't have them anymore. Where do you get yours? Thanks!

Offline Loki

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:24:53 am »
You could try Hector Cole adb.
Durham,England

Offline Ian.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:56:28 am »
I get them from Richard Head, she sells a 'type 10' 3/8 and a 1/2 Tudors. They are both good and very cheap, the Tudors can be a little heavy but you can grind them a little to get them close to a forged weight. I have been using them for years and they are well worth the money.

ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »
You could try Hector Cole adb.

I have bought heads from Hector Cole. Only problem is, they're bloody expensive by the time they cross the pond and after I pay exchange. They are works of art, however.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:00:18 pm »
Be careful with grain run-offs on shafts                                                                                                                                         
Grain run offs are bad news, first because of potential breakage, and second because if grain is not straight, the shaft will warp easily. It is best to have a selection of shafts and reject any and all with grain run-off.

Offline Loki

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »
I have bought heads from Hector Cole. Only problem is, they're bloody expensive by the time they cross the pond and after I pay exchange. They are works of art, however

They are expensive on this side of the pond too,but like you say he's very good at it.
You could try John Marshall?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXBdDlisak
Durham,England