Author Topic: How should I proceed with my tiller?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline JonW

How should I proceed with my tiller?
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »
I'm getting ready to lay down some sinew on this little Osage bow but I want some opinions on how to work around this kink. I have it braced at 5" and drawn to 22" in the pics. I know the outer limbs need to bend more but I wanted to see what some opinions were on how to do so on the kinked limb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How should I proceed with my tiller?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
Scrape just beyond the kink to the tip and I like the upper.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:40:27 pm »
I think both limb tips are a bit stiff.  I would kick up the tips a bit to improve string angle and get the outter 1/3 bending a bit more. After the sinew is added and well cured I'd try to get the kink to bend a bit more  or at least thin that area down a bit.
  What is the t/t length?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:55:11 pm »
Looks to me like the tips could do with a little bit of a scrape.

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:59:39 pm »
Pat I have left the bow full width the length of the bow for now, so yes the tips are definitely needing more work. Iv'e only put temporary nocks for now to reverse brace the bow for the sinew. The bow is 48" ntn and @50" ttt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:05:17 pm »
Once you narrow the tips you might get a bit more bend. I would kick the tips up a bit. You could begin sinewing as soon as the wood cools.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 01:16:14 pm »
It looks like 1 1/2 " above your arrow is a high stressed area, not quite a hinge but looks by the pic that you need to scrape above that area. You stated you allready knew about the upper limb so no need to comment there but see if you see what I do in the picture. Look just above the hand in the pic. #006. Looks stiff between the two kinks. Happy Thanksgiving and God bless.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:23:47 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;