Author Topic: Pea shooter  (Read 2538 times)

toxophool

Pea shooter
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:18:25 am »
Stumbled across a posting about slingshots and thought "hey, that looks like fun"... so after lurking a bit and reading alot, I decided to nab a branch from the maple tree in our yard (when the wife wasn't looking) and give it a go.

Still need to get some decent bands for it (just used a massive rubber band I had at hand) but overall I'm satisfied with the end results.

It's got a bit of ergonomics to it, with indents for my fingers. Otherwise, it's just the natural fork.

Whatcha think for a first attempt?

Offline sadiejane

Re: Pea shooter
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:00:34 am »
ice. man, i love slingshots. and they can be quite good for small game. besides just lots of fun.
wild women don't get the blues

toxophool

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 03:00:57 pm »

The boys (3 and 12) weren't going to let dad have all the fun, so I ended up making two more from the same branch, and also redid the bands on the first one to be a bit lighter, with a better piece of leather, and attached with elastic rather than string.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:29:07 pm »
Thumbs up for getting the family involved.  Me and my two boys, 7 & 4, all have homemade slingshots.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:17:07 pm »
cool man. i love slingshots. good non-lethal deterrent for yard pests and just plain fun to shoot. i use .45 cal lead balls in mine. i used a fork off an old osage tree in the yard of my old house. i left the bark on it and just carved notches to tie the bands on. been shooting the same one for many years. i use the replacement sling shot kits from wally world for bands cause they're cheap and readily available. enjoy it. :)
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter