Author Topic: Sassafras stave one or two bows?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline coaster500

Sassafras stave one or two bows?
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:11:15 am »
I've been off work for a week so I've been playing at bow building. I have a Hackberry that is rehydrating so I decided to chew on a Sassafras stave today. Man talk about instant gratification!!! This stuff slices like butter. I and almost finished with a 71" ELB but have enough wood left for a second bow but it's all heart. The Elb is about 50@27 and seem plenty strong (I shot about 30 arrows thru it today)? I've heard that Sassafras needs to be backed but it feels ok? Can I make another bow with just the heartwood left?

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sassafras stave one or two bows?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:11:41 am »
Give it a try and let us know. I made a sass bow years ago but it was before I knew how.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:25:54 am »
I still don't know how,  just sorta happens  :o

Should I back the ELB?

Sure has some pretty wood, hate to cover it?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 11:08:19 am »
If the back is clean I'd say let it be.  Sassafras was one of the woods the Thompson Bros used while hunting in the Southeast in "The Witchery of Archery".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:59:07 pm »
that bow looks great any chance of a full draw pic?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »
  I've made sassafras bows and never backed mine. I've only made one bow from heart wood but it worked out fine.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 03:16:12 pm »
I just got done shooting it a bit more. It took about 1" of set but it started with about 1/2 of natural deflex. The tiller came out pretty good but as I was shooting it settled into a bit of a hinge on the bottom limb. It's not huge but you can se it. It shoots well and I don't want it any weaker. Maybe it's just me but these bend thru the handle bows, short or long shoot very well for me. It's un-backed and giving no sign that it may blow so it is staying that way...

I'll keep the other piece of Sass in the wings to keep me off a bow that needs rest....  Seems I need some butter to whittle to stave off my impatience :)

I'll post a shooter video after the finish is dry...