Author Topic: living off the grid  (Read 4567 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
living off the grid
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:11:40 am »
i was just wondering if anyone else had thought or even tried living for an extended period of time somewhere with no elecricity, running water etc. this seems like it would be a more enjoyable(most of the time ::)) way to live just hunting fishing and having a small garden for your food, making what you need, the more i think of this the more appealing it is becoming especially with the way everything seems to be becoming extremely materialistic and money based
i know it would be a shock, but what long term downsides would there be :-\
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline butch

Re: living off the grid
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:39:40 am »
children and thier age.
adults and thier age.
water resourses.
timber, soil type.
tools available.
experience.
books.

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:57 am »
It is really hard work living "off the land" and it can be expensive getting the land to live off of.

Fish, before you make the plunge wait and see which college you get accepted to.

Lane

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:34:23 am »
Its getting kinda hard to find enough land to live on where no one notices you !
Yes fish many have done it !
Right after college would be your best chance !
Check out Jon & Gerry McPherson's books!
 Not sure I spelled their names right .
Naked into the wilderness was one of them !

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »
ya , after college was when i was thinking i might try it if i do, i need to see which direction makes more sense at that point, i know i would be hard, but nothing worth it is easy

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:39:33 pm »
I have several really good friends living off the grid.
It is awesome but it also is a lot of hard work. Lots of ways to do it.
Location is key" do your research before jumping in.
Luck to u
Wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:08:55 pm »
I have several really good friends living off the grid.
It is awesome but it also is a lot of hard work. Lots of ways to do it.
Location is key" do your research before jumping in.
Luck to u
Wade
don't worry i wont jump into it without thinking, this is just one option i am considering for after college that i wanted to learn more about

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
I think it would be cool for a while but then I would want to come home take a hot shower kick back on the couch in my nice warm dry little house, watch some tv and search through the primitive archer message board ;D I have also thought about doing it and met a guy who did it for a couple years here in Tillamook state forest untill a hunter discovered him and his dogs little den in the side of the mountian side and turned him in. Then he came to work at the whelding shop I was working at for a few months then he just disapeard again, he is probably out there somewhere right now. :-\
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:28 am »
Aquiring the knowledge to live off the grid and really doing it are two seperate things. Might be better to have a nice small "tight" house, solar collectors, garden, rain barrels, some chickens, and a root cellar for starters. I know a half dozen folks who live half-way off the grid but are ready for just about anything. Don't forget finding a way to "protect" what you have. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:19 am »
My advice would to be to find a job after college, delaying this essential step into adulthood will make a good outcome more and more difficult the longer you put it off.

After you get the foundation for the rest of your life in place then you can start planning short forays into self sufficiency off the grid to see if this type of lifestyle is for you.

The US is full of young men who never struck out on their own after college, still live at home and never made the transition from boy to man. You don't want to be one of these guys.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56:12 am »
I say do your research right now and learn all the many necessary skills to do so during your years in school, then go for it....I was really close to doing it when I was already basically a mountain bum in Colorado for four years,and had no assets and family to provide for. But a youngin such as you are can change there mind and be chasing another idea the next week.

Id say the best location wood be in the southwest. That's where id be heading. Id live up on the mesas and mountains during the warmer months and hunt and forage enough food to bring down lower to live in during the cooler time of year. I had it all planed out with the use of horses as well.

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »
Where do you live now? If possible just turn off your electricity and water for a while and see how you like it.In my experience these type romantic ideas are not nearly as fun in reality.There is a reason life expectancy has increased over the years.

I highly recommend following Eric's advice of getting a good education and job first.It would be a lot better living off the grid by choice rather than necessity.

I would like to live a more self sufficient lifestyle, being able to produce much of my own food and electricity.A nice house with some solar power and wood heat is in my opinion a much better option than a tiny cabin,tent or cave.

Grunt

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »
Forgot the prime directive. Work for nobody but yourself and your family.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 07:20:57 pm »
I say do your research right now and learn all the many necessary skills to do so during your years in school, then go for it....I was really close to doing it when I was already basically a mountain bum in Colorado for four years,and had no assets and family to provide for. But a youngin such as you are can change there mind and be chasing another idea the next week.

Id say the best location wood be in the southwest. That's where id be heading. Id live up on the mesas and mountains during the warmer months and hunt and forage enough food to bring down lower to live in during the cooler time of year. I had it all planed out with the use of horses as well.

I worked with a guy out in Colorado who looked a lot like you, named Chris as well. Any chance you worked at Peaceful Valley Ranch?

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 08:29:23 am »
Nope Matt..I never worked there..I didn't work a whole lot out there really...I was on a 4 year vacation :laugh: