Author Topic: D/R Rosebay Rhododendron  (Read 7719 times)

Offline wvarcher

Re: D/R Rosebay Rhododendron
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 12:52:35 am »
Nice bow!  I like to come on here and discover a new bow wood.  That's a great name for your bow.  I know the area you speak of well.  Caught my share of trout fishing the Dry Fork and Red Creek rivers.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 01:20:03 am »
Thanks wvarcher...im glad someone understands and appreciates the name of the bow. ;D
My wife grew up and lived in Parsons her whole life before she met me,and she grew up on the Dry Fork. We go back down frequently,and I love that whole area and know it well myself ;)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53:25 am »
Very, very nice....  pretty as the blooms it once carried  ;)

Looks like it's a smooth drawing bow?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 03:40:07 am »
Very cool, great looking bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 12:24:34 pm »
Thanks guys and yes she's very smooth and comfy to draw. :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 05:41:00 pm »
Nice bow! One more kind of wood to look for during my travels. Thanx for increasing the known bow wood list.  ;)     Josh

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 07:49:43 pm »
Great looking bow Blackhawk. Thank you for the info on the Rhodies. I do have some that I harvested when over at the coast last spring. It does seem like strong wood. You did very well with the D/R profile and very nice tiller.

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 12:24:31 pm »
Thanks gundoc

Thanks Keenan..is that the pacific rhodo you cut? Pull one off the rack and share your results/thoughts on it....plus I always love seeing a Keenan bow ;)

Offline Nashoba

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »
Is this a type of azalea wood or something? It looks great!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:14 pm »
Man that looks nice! I bet that was fun to tiller ;D You shure are pounding out the bows and with great quality! Well done as usual!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 04:10:36 pm »
Thanks Nashoba...its exactly what the title says...a rosebay rhododendron...it grows rampid all thru out the east,especially thru the good ole appalachias ;)...its not an azalea...I have one of those in my front yard,and I've eyeballed it,but there's nothing there to even try and splice together.

Thanks Josh...it was a great teacher stave tillering slightly mismatched D/R limbs,and a wood with all unknowns. Yeah I was on a pretty good bowyering binge there the last couple months. >:D...is there a cure? Oh yeah.. its as soon as I make that perfect bow that shoots ten rings every time...lol :laugh:

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »
I like it!  Is this the same Rhododendron that grows in the west Cascades? I like to see bows made of wood that is not common. ;)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour