Author Topic: Video added...Finished .... Hackadextorus... Flipping Question  (Read 6506 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: Flipping Question
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 02:46:27 am »
Yes the belly turn a light caramel color. I was pretty carful not to burn it. I'm setting this one aside for now and will probably start the layout on another. I've got a Vine Maple, Mulberry and an Osage that are seasoned and ready for something? The Osage looks like it might be a bit of a challenge so it may sit a while longer.

Thanks for the comments and help....
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

Re: Flipping Question
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:51:20 pm »
Got back to the Hackberry today and I think I'm pretty much done except the finish stuff...  It came in about 54@27 and that's a bit stiff for me but it shoots so good I think I may leave it? I slams a 659 grain arrow like a champ. I almost can't believe how quick it feels. After about 100 plus arrows and an arm that feels like it's going to fall off... 

These are the braced and unbraced pics right after shooting. It did not keep the entire reflex but did very well and stayed almost straight. Maybe a 1/2 to 5/8” between the wall and the tip and that is my best attempt at straight so far. All in all I really like the way this bow shoots and it is extremely consistent and accurate....

Thanks all for the help...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:22:45 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Kpete

Re: Update... Flipping Question
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:28 am »
coaster,
Looks pretty good. If it shoots hard and more importantly it shoots where you look, you have a fun bow.   Lots of good comments to learn more.  Way to go.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:22:43 am »
Thank you..

This is a great place to learn Kpete.... Lot's of great folks with a ton of knowledge ....

It only took a tiny bit of the reflex back after sitting a bit ( Chris I may not have toasted it enough?) but I couldn't be happier.... It's straight!!!!!! This one really shoots and loves that 659 grain arrow.... I have to say I really like this wood for a bunch of reasons..... 

Offline dwardo

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:04 am »
That looks great, now get it all tarted up and lets have the FD! ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:05 am »
I just finished off a hackberry(just put the last coat of tru oil on this morn),and Its super easy to work with,a few hours last thur,a few on the next day,and a few more on sat n I was shooting it. I also found out hackberry takes longer to toast than other woods. I spent an hour on each limb,and it took awhile for the heat to penetrate down into the wood,and I gave her a deep dark toast. It sure does make a quick bow due to its lightness,especially with eiffel tower tips. Its neck n neck with my fastest bow,and that bows a screamer. Ill be posting mine later this eve or tomorrow eve,can't wait to see your s all finished up. And I wish I had hackberry in my area to cut but I don't,a good buddy begifted my stave to me... ;)...you know who you are..ill give ya props and credit when I post it buddy ;) :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:36 am »
Thats too bad Chris, that stuff grow's like weeds up here I tall ya'.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »
Hackextorus 64”s 54 @27 , is finished (bow #4 :) ... for now

This bow shoots so hard I decided to leave the tips natural...  don't want to slow it down (I already added string silencers)...  Last piece of leather I had came up a bit small but works for now. I like to build up the back of the handle with carved leather (big old hands) and the string silencers are Alpaca yarn from my wife’s basket. The bow had the tiniest bit of resonance at the shot. Now it is dead silent and Alpaca weighs nothing and didn't seem to change the speed?

Nobody here to take full draw picks but here is the final un-braced pics (maybe 150 arrows total?) and a few more….  Not perfect but every bow teaches me a bit more and this one is a shooter!!

Thank you all for the help and keeping me from an experiment that probably would not have gone well….

Offline coaster500

Re: Finished .... Hackextorus... Flipping Question
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 04:03:53 pm »

Offline coaster500

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »
Very nice job.  I like the grain patterns on it.  I have some hackberry in the garage rafters that needs made into a bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coaster500

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:07 pm »
Thank you

I used some light walnut stain under tru-oil to help the grain pop a bit. This Hackberry is very light wood in color an even with the stain it's still fairly lite colored...

Offline coaster500

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:10 pm »
My wife came home just long enough to yake a video and some pictures...  I had to shoot from my knees as the sun ate up the top limb in the brightness...   anyway here we go..  I had to cant the bow some to make sure the bottom limb cleared...

The tiller isn't perfect and I could probably have still removed a bit of wood for my 50# target but man it shot so right I was afraid to mess with it anymore?

Click on the picture ...  It's a video

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:10:20 pm by coaster500 »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Video added...Finished .... Hackextorus... Flipping Question
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 10:13:57 pm »
Looks real good.  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Video added...Finished .... Hackadextorus... Flipping Question
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 06:38:47 pm »
That is a great tiller! Nice job yet again. That few extra pounds you left behind will be shot out in the next 300-400 arrows. You will probably settle in right where you want it to be.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.