Author Topic: the forgers diary  (Read 1815 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
the forgers diary
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:32:48 am »
well after getting in from doing some forging today i had an idea, why not create a thread for people either experimenting or experienced with forging to show off their stuff
i guess i'll start
most are bodkins, except the one dagger the feather in one picture is for reference and is about 8 inches
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/fishfinder401/forgeing/
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: the forgers diary
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:35:17 am »
Noel, I'm getting interested in forging knives, hawks and broadheads but it still in the dream stage. Will you post pics of your forge, anvil and tools.
 This is gonna be a good thread!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:45:16 am »
sure, ill post some in the morning, but be warned, the forge will resemble more of a pile of ricks than of anything else ::)
thanks
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 02:05:42 am »
This is a primitive website ain't it?  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 04:10:29 am »
I'm interested in Iron/Steel forging as well as pattern welding.
Done a bit of reading on the subject, but my list of hobbies is already prohibitave... :)

My uncle up in Fairfield has a old gas forge that we plan on getting back into action next year.
But from what I've read I'm thinking that Charcoal is the way to go for me.

Look forward to watching this thread.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:42 am »
Forging is a lot like grilling for me, I love charcoal but sometimes the convenience of gas is hard to beat.  I've got a plan in my noggin to convert an old grill of mine into a Tim Lively style forge above then build a small coffee can/ weed burner rig that can sit on top.  That way I'll have the best of both worlds.

BTW, Noel if you're interested in forging bodkins you should check out Tim Lively's website.  He's got a real good tutorial on there.

I just finished up a knife yesterday, I'll try to get some pics up later.  Still need to make a pair of rawhide britches for it.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »
thanks for the advice, i am actually going to b e getting some coal to try, but i figured out what was causing one problem i was having with my sockets this weekend. you see this is the hottest i have gotten my forge to and i am not used to having the metal work that easy, so i think i over worked it a bit, but the did end up working so no complaint here, just not as clean of sockets as i would like.
and thanks for the link, that is a different way of forming the sockets, what i usually do is flatten it out till it is pretty thin, then i put it over a slot to start the bend and finish bending the edges over and rolling it, cleaning it up on a spike i have
thanks
noel