Author Topic: butchering  (Read 5150 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: butchering
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »
Mmmm, corned venison.  I almost feel it would be worth it to commit a crime worthy of death sentence just so I could ask for corned venison for my last supper.  But since I know how to make it, I guess I don't have to make so much effort!

Now if I could just seal the deal with my bow, corned deertag is just not as good or as filling. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 12:17:25 am »
I've two does hanging I got this morn.  I got em on my 5 acres and drug them home w/o field dressing.  non-bow kills...sorry...food...anyway it took me about an hour to do the mom, and about 40 mins for the yearling.  I just hung them, skinned and gutted.  It's nice and cool here, so I'm gonna let them hang until Wednesday...if I can keep my dog off em  >:(, then put them in the freezer.  I'll debone and cut steaks out of as much as I can, and chunks out of the rest.  I usually don't grind and freeze, but rather cut-up and freeze then when the day comes, I can decide what I want, ethinic, soup, or fresh ground, etc.  Should take maybe three hours to do if my wife helps.  I'm taking sinew different this year, so I'm tryin' a few new things. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »
Yep im a member of the 6 hour club 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline lowell

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »
I just got done with one but I didn't grind at this time and it took me 2 1/2 hours.  I'm here mainly looking for what was mentioned as good suace for tar tar!!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »
Hmmm...takes me about two hours for butchering and clean-up but I don't take all the bones out.  If I scrape the flesh off the hide, rack it, then extract leg sinew, that adds another two hours.  I wet scrape on a beam.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »
I've two does hanging I got this morn.  I got em on my 5 acres and drug them home w/o field dressing.  non-bow kills...sorry...food...anyway it took me about an hour to do the mom, and about 40 mins for the yearling.  I just hung them, skinned and gutted.  It's nice and cool here, so I'm gonna let them hang until Wednesday...if I can keep my dog off em  >:(, then put them in the freezer.  I'll debone and cut steaks out of as much as I can, and chunks out of the rest.  I usually don't grind and freeze, but rather cut-up and freeze then when the day comes, I can decide what I want, ethinic, soup, or fresh ground, etc.  Should take maybe three hours to do if my wife helps.  I'm taking sinew different this year, so I'm tryin' a few new things. 

I cut my finger pretty bad removing the hooves off one of my doe, but the wife and I put the two does up all deboned  and it took about 5 hours and 10 minutes.  That didn't include all the clean up, but most.  We did this on Wednesday, and it's Friday now and I still have a few things laying around.  ::)  I don't have the skins scrapped yet, but the sinew is all removed and pretty much dried already.  Now I'm wondering about how to remove the hooves from the foot bones. 

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »
I am so pickey it takes forever, but I want every bit of fat, sinue, and grissle gone. We marinate and vacum pack, grind ham burger, make jerky, collect sinue. Just guessing it must have taken my wife and I 12 or more hours to do the big mulie buck I got this year but then I wnt every piece to be perfect. When I make a pot of chilli or batch of jerky I dont want any grissle or wild taste so every piece is trimmed.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 03:57:18 pm »
I dont want any grissle or wild taste so every piece is trimmed.     

I'm lucky, the muleys up here are almost as mild tasting as a cornfed Iowa whitetail.  Often I wish they had a little more game flavor, 'cause I like it!

I just got a text message from a guy this morning that is dropping off a deer he shot and doesn't want. (then WHY did you shoot it?  Your tag meant I didn't get one, moron!)  I'll have to punch the timeclock to see how many hours I put into this one, just for the record. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 11:20:17 pm »
Took my first Corned Venison roast out yesterday and cooked it. I'm ready to kill every deer I see and Corn them all. Man! I want to Corn everything! That stuff is down right tasty, I'm with ya' on that, JW.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:23 pm »
Wonder what corned gator tail might be like....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:40 am »
Tough and fishey. :D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kpete

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 01:28:39 am »
What I really like with corned venison is to cook it, then chill it.  slice it thin and eat it on rye with sweet and hot mustard.  Beverage of your choice to take the sting out of the mustard.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 09:12:18 am »
That's what I did with the first one, yummy. :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »
hey Eddie save me some leg bones if ya can,I need some knife handles
Thanx
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 02:27:03 pm »
Bone Pile, I saved all leg bones from the two doe I got last week.  Should be what, 16 in all.  Which ones you lookin for?  I'm in the process of cleaning them up.  I'm off tomorrow during the day and it's gonna be cold.  I plan on doing my best to get them done before work tomorrow night.  Get w/ me if you're interested. dpgratz