Author Topic: East meets West ?  (Read 2366 times)

Offline agd68

East meets West ?
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:22 pm »
Just curious. Has anyone out there made a  western style bow with the Asian horn bow technique . Would the horn give any advantage to a Western style bow,ie longbow or RD style ?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: East meets West ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »
I have some horn and sinew sittin around, and I was thinking about trying that out. I was just thinking about trying a straight profile bow cause I've never worked with horn or sinew before. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:39 pm »
Well, if you included a sinew backing as I'm assuming you would, it would definately get you a longer draw length.  See my BOM for September/October, coral snake skinned bow.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:33 pm »
Robustus has. Some of his glass bows reflect that style.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:46:43 pm »
He means the other way around. Horn/sinew for the Western bow not glass on an Asian bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:28:40 am »
James has done them that way too.  ;D
  If you design the bow to take advantage of the compression strength of the horn plus the tension strength of the sinew it should shoot similar to the Asiatic bows. If it is too long or has too much mass the horn and sinew become liabilities. I think a Molle style bow would be a good candidate for horn/sinew and I believe a few have been presented right here on PA.
 There are a few Native American Plains style bows that were a combo of sinew/wood/horn or sinew/horn or just plain ole' sinew/wood bows.
  Over the last few years a few commercial bowyers have put horn bellies on their boo backed bows and maybe even glass backed bows. For me, you need a short, highly stressed bow before horn and/or sinew comes into the picture.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 09:07:14 am »
Thanks for the input guys. Tatto Dave if you ever get around to making one I hope you do a tutorial on it, I would love to see it.
Happiness is..

Offline tronman

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:02 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25453.msg342079.html#msg342079. Here is an example of something you might be intersted in

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:44:33 am »
If you are asking about horn on a "long" bow, I think it is a bad idea. Sinew and horn are best on short bows. The horn takes the extra compression and the sinew provides the extra elasticity. Long bows don't bend as tight of a radius so wood takes the compression without the extra weight, and sinew isn't needed on those longer arcs.
You never saw the Asians make a horn and sinew Yumi bow did you?
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline agd68

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »
Thanks tronman. Justine, I should have been more specific in that I meant lonbow profile not so much length. In my fixation I completely forgot that the Comanche made short reflexed hornbows. I guess they answered my question already.
Happiness is..

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »
If I remember correctly (it's Friday afternoon, the brain's a little fried) Tim Baker wrote about this in TBB 4. I think he came to the conclusion that a properly made straight limbed composite could shoot as fast as the heavily recurved/reflexed composites. The key was to only have the horn and sinew in the inner limbs. The outer limbs would be static. I guess it's the same idea as the Mollegabet, long narrow static outer limbs are extremely light and thus give the advantage of long bows (string angle, stored energy, long draw, smooth and accurate) with minimum mass. I think Steve (badger) had a lot to do with this bow as well, maybe he can give a little insight? ;) ;)