Author Topic: Fish Glue  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Fish Glue
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 04:16:41 am »
I'm told that the kind of mullet we have here in the Western Gulf is not the same as is found on the East side.

As far as fish bladders go I'd like to try making glue out of Amberjack bladders.
If tenacity alone were any indication, AJ bladders should make a strong glue...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
Bladders...heck I'd like to have the fliets out of a couple amberjack!!!  We caught some off Panama years ago and it was the best fish I ever ate.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 04:09:44 pm »
Yes Sir George.

Amberjack is one of my favorite all round fish for fight and table.
It is hard to beat on the grill in my opinion.

Close second would be African Pompano.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »
Pat, I was born in Pensacola and my Mother's family were oyster and mullet fisherman. My Grandfather built all of his boats. Pat I picked up 10# of mullet fillets form my brother in Jaxsonville on the way home.

Gus, I really like Cobia and Snook, Now that is yummy. The mullet that come down the Atlantic coast in the Winter are a lot bigger then the ones we have in the Gulf. They are also bright silver.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 01:09:14 am »
You guys are too funny.  Carp ain't that bad....to me anyway.  Skunky beer, now that's nasty.
                    Would that be Billy Beer?  :P;D ;)

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 01:35:26 am »

Amber Jack is excellent smoked also!  Snook, and snappers, Red, Hog, lane, vermillion, etc.  Yep, Silver, and black mullet.  They taste quite yummy!  My Cousin and I went fishing once, and caught a bunch of finger mullet for bait, and we caught absolutely nothing.  So I told him to just take them on home and freeze them, and we'd use them for bait later.  He said to heck with that, he was hungry for fish, and told me to hang around for awhile, and he would cook them.  I said not much to cook.  He said, not on each one, but there are a whole lot of them.  So we started to filet them, well we actually scaled them, and then just sliced off the sides, and , and drug them them through a 50/50 mix of corn meal, and flour, and cajun season, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper, and then deep fried them, and man, talk about good!  A little squeeze of fresh lime juice, and it just doesn't get much better! 8) ;) I don't put the mullet I have left over, in the future bait category anymore, unless they have been out awhile. ;)  Dang, now I am hungry again.  Gonna have to slip over to Mullet's and mooch another meal, and beer, under the clever guise of trying to learn to knapp. ;D I am going to make two arrows for my Buddy's Brother's Boss, who has prostate cancer and is into primitive stuff, and artifacts.  I want to make one normal, and one all paleo, with a Cherokee two fletch, they both will be cane arrows with Obsidian heads, so I will need his guidance.......and something to eat and drink.......probably....... ::)  I guess I could stop and get some beer.....
Or maybe spring for lunch at the Mexican Resturaunt, and get my Chile Verde'.  Now that is GOOD also! ;)  Dang, now I am going to have to have a beer, and get the sharp cheddar, and pepperoni out now.  Even though, I had baby back ribs, and Cajun garlic shrimp for lunch, and then after going to the Circus with some friends, we went to a sports bar, and had wings, and "a" beer, and then an unsweetened iced tea with lime......and I have left overs that my Friends couldn't finish, in the refrigerator,  I think a light snack of cheese and no nitrates pepperoni slices, and a nice cold Miller light will do nicely, before I go to bed and read for awhile.  Dang, that is what I am going to have to do then.  Hey how about no more food talk after ten?  :P
                                                            Wayne

Offline Gus

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 03:25:26 am »
Don't feed 'em after midnight and for heavens sake done get 'em wet!  :)

Then I probably shouldn't agree with Pat that I love Cobia TOO!!!   >:D
And would love to try Snook some day...

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 02:29:11 pm »
Ok fellas, so I'm a Michigan boy. Grouper-not available, sturgeon-protected, and what the heck is croaker ??? In these parts all those are good for is frog legs ;) I do have some small pieces of dried sinew. Will that make a decent glue for sinew backing a bow? And how's it done? My understanding is just boil it in some water, but is there a water to sinew ratio that makes for the best glue?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »
Dave, I believe Keenan just throws sinew scraps in a crock pot with water over night, strains it and he has glue. I would think sinew glue would work great for glueing down sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »
I'd hate to waste the sinew. I think I'd use knox gelatin and just throw scraps of sinew and rawhide in it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 09:17:17 pm »
I've got some small pieces about 4-5" long, not processed. I was thinking about using that. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Rockford, MI

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:42 am »
It's mullet time down here,smoked up a bunch for Thanksgiving.I bring a gallon of my mullet dip so everyone can take some home.After smoking a bunch of mullet my smoker is black from fish fat off the skins and smoke.Maybee I'll scape some off and see if I could use it to glue a point on a shaft. It would be hard to loose an arrow with that smell on it :o
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »
Ya got my mouth watering, Roger. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:45 pm »
I agree with Eddie,Knox and a rawhide dog chew. COOK OUT SIDE! But makes good glue.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
I've got some small pieces about 4-5" long, not processed. I was thinking about using that. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I put some 3" lengths of sinew on a bow night before last.  No sinew goes to waste in my shop, too hard to pound.   I might have to try cooking the knox gelatin with rawhide scraps in it.  Of course, it is easy to order the dried glue and mix it up.

George
St Paul, TX